MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's and women's track & field teams had a very successful weekend at the highly competitive Raleigh Relays hosted by NC State University over the weekend in Raleigh, N.C. UMO saw Leah Hanle punch her ticket to the NCAA DII Outdoor Championships as well as three other Trojans set NCAA Provisional Qualifying marks, and five school records fall over the weekend.
Location: Paul Derr Track, Raleigh, N.C.
INSIDE THE RESULTS
- Leah Hanle had herself a day finishing as the top DII runner in the 5000m and securing an NCAA Automatic Qualifier to the 2018 Outdoor National Championships in Charlotte, N.C. later this year. Hanle has the fastest time in Division II and obliterated the UMO school, which she held, by 21 seconds. The NCAA Automatic Qualifying standard time is a 16:16.33.
- The women's 4x400m relay team of Brittany Beckford, Malak Kafi, Kieora Nichols, and Mictasha Mickle broke the UMO school record that was held from 2014 with a time of 3:53.36 breaking the record by three seconds.
- Kieora Nichols set a personal best in the 400m and just barely became the UMO record holder in the event missing the mark by .02 with her time of 57.82, moving her into second in the UMO record book.
- UMO made several moves in the Top-10 over the weekend including nine Trojans moving into the rankings in six different events.
- Johnny Middlebrooks, Richard Fisher, Montre Holmes, Tedric Shannon made a strong push for their tickets to the NCAA DII Outdoor National Championship by securing an NCAA Provisional Qualifying time in the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:12.21. The Trojans also won the prestigious event beating out Di opponents from App State, East Carolina NC State George Mason, Georgetown, Wake Forest, and Campbell.
- The Trojans 4x400m time is two seconds above the NCAA Provisional Standard mark (3:14.00) and four seconds behind the automatic mark (3:08.47) with half the season remaining to improve on their time.
- Johnny Middlebrooks, Trevor Carr, Zach Jenkins, Sven Bulik also made a splash in the 4x100m relay breaking the school record by .13.
- Adam Craig and Jonathan Dahlke also made a push for the National Championship recording NCAA Provisional Qualifying times in the 10000m and 5000m respectively.
- Richard Fisher picked up a personal best in the 400m and added a little bit more as he broke an eight-year-old school record previously held by Keonta' Coleman with his time of 48.57 besting the previous record by 10 seconds.
- Tai Smith picked up a personal best in 5000m moving into 6th in the UMO record book.
- Johnny Middlebrooks had a pr in the 100m and moved into 6th in the UMO top-10.
- Demond Cooper also recorded a pr in the 400mh and moved into 4th in the top-10.
- The Trojans' men's and women's track and field teams will compete again at the Colonial Relays on April 5-6 in Williamsburg, Va.