Mount Olive, N.C. – In front of a packed Kornegay Arena, the University of Mount Olive men's basketball team triumphed over Georgian Court University, 83-71, on Friday evening in the 51st Annual Mt. Olive Pickle Classic.
Score: Mount Olive 83 Georgian Court 71
Records: Mount Olive (1-2), Georgian Court (0-3)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- UMO opened the first 20 minutes on a torrid pace, grabbing a 19-5 lead and forcing a GCU timeout just shy of three minutes into the game.
- Just three minutes later, the Lions cut Mount Olive's lead to 24-18 using a 13-5 run.
- Staving off a GCU run, junior Tayon Gleaves scored the Trojans' last six points of the half including a three at the buzzer to provide UMO with a 44-33 advantage at the break.
- A 9-4 GCU run cut the Mount Olive lead to just 48-42 only four minutes into the half.
- Junior DeAndre Barber immediately responded by draining a three and pulling down a defensive rebound that led to a triple by freshman Cameron Robinson that regained a double-figure advantage for UMO.
- The Lions continued to put pressure on the Trojans, as GCU trimmed the deficit to nine at 78-69 with two minutes remaining in regulation, but UMO once again had an answer, scoring five of the last seven points in the contest to capture an 83-71 victory.
- Gleaves led the Trojans for the second-straight outing with 18 points.
- A pair of newcomers in Barber (16) and Robinson (14) combined for 30 in the win.
- Sophomore Dedric Byrd gathered 11 points and six boards for UMO.
- UMO was just edged by the Lions in the rebound category, 30-29.
- Georgian Court was led by Kieth Hughes, who recorded a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
- UMO outshot GCU, 53.4% to 50.9%, from the field and 40.0% and 26.3% from beyond the arc.
Mount Olive continues action in the Pickle Classic with a Saturday night matchup with Saint Augustine's University at 7:30 p.m. in Kornegay Arena.