Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to North Greenville University 88-57 in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday evening in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: North Greenville 88, Mount Olive 57
Records: North Greenville (5-3, 1-2 CC), Mount Olive (1-8, 0-4 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Early on, Mount Olive and NGU traded baskets as the Trojans took an 11-10 lead on a three-pointer by freshman Cameron Robinson with 11:52 left in the first half.
- Over the next six minutes, the lead changed hands seven times before NGU took a five-point lead at 28-23 on a triple with 2:03 left in the half.
- A pair of made free throws by sophomore Dedric Byrd trimmed the Crusaders' lead to five just before the half, but an NGU dunk in the closing seconds once again increased the lead to seven.
- North Greenville opened the half with a three right out of the gate to increase its advantage to double-digits at 37-27 with 19:22 left to play.
- A three by junior Tayon Gleaves trimmed NGU's lead to seven at 39-32 with 17:11 left to play, but the Crusaders quickly responded with an 11-3 run to take a 50-35 lead in route to the 88-57 win.
- Byrd led UMO with 11 points, while Gleaves added 10 for the Trojans.
- Junior Emmanuel Patton chipped in eight points on four-of-four shooting from the field.
- UMO shot 32.8% (22-67) from the field to North Greenville's 51.5% (34-66).
- The Trojans were outrebounded by the Crusaders, 53-32.
- NGU's Miguel Cartagena led all scorers with 24 points for the Crusaders.
The Trojans face non-conference opponent UNC Pembroke on Wednesday evening at 7:30 p.m. in Kornegay Arena. Fans are encouraged to bring canned goods or an unwrapped children's toy to receive free admission to the doubleheader and support Toys For Tots.