Ettrick, Va. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team dropped a road matchup with Virginia State University, 80-68, on Sunday evening in Ettrick, Virginia.
Score: Virginia State 80, Mount Olive 68
Records: Virginia State (8-3, 1-1 CIAA), Mount Olive (1-10, 0-4 CC)
Location: Multipurpose Center, Ettrick, Va.
How It Happened
- Neither team could build a significant advantage through the first ten minutes of the first period as UMO went to the second media timeout holding a 19-18 lead.
- UMO and VSU continued to trade leads before an 8-0 VSU run gave Virginia State a 29-22 lead with 4:32 remaining in the half.
- Despite a push by Mount Olive to cut VSU's lead to one near the end of the period, Virginia State sprinted forward in the final two minutes of the half to take a 37-32 lead at the break.
- Mount Olive wasted no time in the second half, using an 11-1 run to take a 43-38 lead just 3:46 in.
- Responding quickly, VSU used a 16-7 run to grab a 54-50 advantage with 10:22 left to play in the contest.
- UMO tied the contest again at 60 on a made three by freshman Cameron Robinson with 6:08 remaining in the game, but VSU regained control with a 12-2 run in the closing minutes on its way to the 80-68 victory.
- Freshman Tyler Thomas led five UMO Trojan's in double-digits with 16 points.
- Adding 15 points was junior Tayon Gleaves, while Robinson poured in 11 and junior DeAndre Barber and freshman Armond Griebe each tallied 10.
- UMO shot 49.1% (27-55) from the field on the night while VSU shot 51.9% (27-52).
- Mount Olive was outshot from the charity stripe as UMO had just six free throw attempts to Virginia State's 26.
- VSU's Richard Granberry led all scorers with 24 points and 10 boards.
Mount Olive takes 13 days off for the holidays, returning to action on Saturday, December 31 against Wingate University at 2 p.m. in Kornegay Arena.