Tigerville, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team earned a 65-51 victory over North Greenville University on Monday night in Tigerville, S.C.
Score: Mount Olive 65, North Greenville 51
Records: Mount Olive (4-13, 3-6 CC), North Greenville (6-9, 1-7 CC)
Location: Hayes Gymnasium, Tigerville, S.C.
How It Happened
- UMO struggled to get started in the early going as North Greenville sprinted out to a 16-7 lead just 5:51 into the half.
- The Trojans quickly shrugged off the slow start and assembled a 26-8 run over the final 14 minutes of the first period to take a 33-24 lead into the break.
- During the run, UMO shot 8-18 (44.4%) but connected on all five free throw attempts and grabbed 10 rebounds while holding NGU to just 2-11 (18.2%) shooting from the field and forcing the Crusaders into eight turnovers.
- Junior Tayon Gleaves helped fuel UMO's run with 15 first half points on 5-5 shooting from the field.
- Stifling defense by the Trojans held NGU to just five points in the first four minutes of the half as UMO increased its lead to 15 at 44-29 with 15:59 left on the clock.
- NGU did not go quietly as the Crusaders cut Mount Olive's lead to just ten twice in the final frame at 44-34 and 49-39 but the Trojans responded with baskets of their own each instance and never let NGU draw within single digits.
- Building on his strong performance, Gleaves scored four of the Trojans' last six points to secure the 65-51 road victory for UMO.
- Gleaves poured in 22 points to lead all scorers in the win.
- Adding double figure performances were freshman Tyler Thomas (13) and sophomore Jamaal Matin (12), who also added eight boards.
- Freshman Saiquon Jamison helped clean up the glass with six points and seven boards.
- Helping facilitate in the victory were junior DeAndre Barber who dished out five assists and freshman Cameron Robinson who contributed four assists.
- UMO was outshot by NGU, 47.7%-41.8%, but the Trojans forced 18 Crusader turnovers while only committing nine.
Mount Olive returns home for Piggly Wiggly Blackout Night on Saturday evening as the Trojans host Pfeiffer at 4 p.m. in Kornegay Arena.