MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team defeats Erskine 67-64 on Friday evening in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Tayon Gleaves led all players with 26 points helping the Trojans pick up their third straight victory.
Score: Mount Olive 67, Erskine 64
Records: Mount Olive (6-2, 2-0), Erskine (3-7, 1-3)
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. | Kornegay Arena
How It Happened
- The Trojans opened the game going up 6-2 over the Flying Fleet through the first two and a half minutes.
- Gleaves hit a three to extend the UMO lead to six at the 16:51 mark.
- Two minutes later, Mount Olive grew their lead to nine, 14-5, following a three by Tyler Thomas.
- Erskine collected themselves as they went on a 15-2 run over the next five minutes taking a 20-16 lead that was capped by a dunk from the postman.
- Cameron Robinson brought the Trojans back within one on a three off the assist from Jamaal Matin.
- UMO cut the five-point Erskine lead to tie the game on back-to-back baskets consisting of a dunk by Darius Spragley and another three for Gleaves.
- Erskine held the lead until the 1:18 mark when the Trojans tied the game at 28.
- With the score tied at 30 all coming out of the Erskine timeout, Cameron Robinson hit a three at the buzzer to give the Trojans a three-point lead heading into halftime, 33-30.
- Gleaves came out of the half scoring the first 11 points for the Trojans to give them the 44-38 lead as the clock ticked under 17 minutes.
- The Flying Fleet pulled within two, 46-44 at 13:49, following a 6-0 run by Erskine.
- Erskine came back to tie the game at 53 all after the two teams went point-for-point over an eight-minute window.
- After the game tied up again, this time at 58, the Trojans opened a seven-point lead that they held till the 1:15 mark.
- The Flying Fleet comeback fell just short despite a buzzer-beater jump shot, as a pair of free throws by Gleaves put the game out of reach giving the Trojans their third straight win.
- Tayon Gleaves led all scorers with 26 points shooting 6-of-10 from behind the arc and a perfect 6-for-6 from the line.
- Tyler Thomas was the only other Trojan to reach double-digits with 10 points.
- Tanner Poole and Dominique Tham led the Trojans rebound game with eight rebounds each. Poole tied his career-high while Tham set a new high.
- Cam Robinson led the assist category with six assists on the night setting a new career-high.
Mount Olive is back at home on Wednesday, December 13, as they host Francis Marion in a Southeast region showdown. Tip-off between the Trojans and the Patriots is set for 7 p.m. at Kornegay Arena.