WILSON, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to Augusta University 77-73 in their season opener at the Barton College 45-Second Classic Friday night in Wilson, N.C.
Score: Augusta 77, Mount Olive 73
Records: Augusta (1-0), Mount Olive (0-1)
Location: Wilson Gymnasium, Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- Twenty-seven seconds into the opening half senior guard Jamaal Matin scored a three-pointer to put the Trojans on the scoreboard first.
- Cameron Robinson put UMO ahead 8-2 following a made lay-up and three-pointer.
- Over the next three minutes, Augusta chipped away at the Mount Olive lead following a 9-2 run that gave the Jags a one-point, 11-10 lead, with 15:25 on the clock.
- Augusta held on to an 18-13 lead following a seven-minute window that saw several turnovers and fouls by both teams.
- Mount Olive trailed by five points, 25-20, after a 7-7 run by both teams as the clock ticked down to 4:46 as a media timeout was called.
- The Trojans scored eight points in the remaining minutes while the Jaguars closed out the opening 20 minutes will 11 points to take a 36-28 lead into halftime.
- Augusta's lead grew to 14 points, 47-33, following a three-pointer in the opening four minutes of the second half.
- With 12:12 remaining in the second half, the Trojans found themselves down 17 points with the score sitting at 58-41.
- Mount Olive slowly chipped away at the Augusta lead over the next seven minutes as they pulled within eight points of the Jags trailing 67-59 following an Alan Treakle three-pointer.
- Another three by Treakle closed the gap to five points, 67-62, with the clock ticking down to 3:53 to play.
- UMO went on a 9-7 run closing the gap to three points, 74-71, with 75 seconds remaining in regulation.
- The Trojans scored one more bucket but a foul with four seconds left gave the Jags a four-point lead as time expired to win 77-73.
- Sophomore Alan Treakle led the Trojans with 17 points while freshman Jonathan Mebane was just behind with 16 points of his own.
- Michael Brown and Cameron Robinson joined Treakle and Mebane in double figures scoring 13 and 12 points respectively.
- UMO connected on 14-of-17 free throws for an 82.4% shooting percentage from the charity stripe.
The Trojans will take to the court tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 10, on day two of the Barton College 45-Second Classic. Mount Olive will face off against Georgia Southwestern State University with a tip time of 11 a.m.