MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Braves of UNC Pembroke 105-58 on the final night of the 53rd Annual Mount Olive Pickle Classic in Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: UNC Pembroke 105, Mount Olive 58
Records: UNC Pembroke (3-1), Mount Olive (1-3)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive took the early momentum with the first two points of the contest off a layup from Alan Treakle 30 seconds into the game.
- The next 15 mins of the game remained tight as neither side held more than a two-point lead.
- At the 15:23 mark Tanner Poole grabbed an offensive rebound and started a short five-point run for the Trojans taking the score to 15-10.
- UNC Pembroke countered with 10 unanswered points and gained a 20-15 lead with 11:33 remaining in the half.
- UMO kept the score close, but the Braves were poised for another big run. David Strother's three-pointer began an 11-0 run that extended their lead to 36-23 with just over 5:30 to play.
- Countering five-point runs ended the half as UNCP held a 51-34 lead at the break.
- The Braves opened up the second half on a 16-6 run the ballooned their cushion to 66-40 through the first five minutes of the half.
- Mount Olive stopped the bleeding on the heels of Michael Brown who scored five in a row to draw the deficit to 66-45 with 14:31 on the clock.
- Another run by UNCP put the final dagger into the Trojan comeback with a 16-2 spread as the Braves led 82-46 with under nine to play.
- UMO attempted to play shot-for-shot in the final few minutes of the game, but the lead was too large for the Trojans to overcome and they fell 105-58.
- Michael Brown and Cameron Robinson led the team with 13 points each on the night.
- Alan Treakle also finished in double figures with 10 points.
The Trojans return to action on November 24, when the visiting Hawks of Chowan University will come to Kornegay Arena for a 4 p.m. non-conference tip-off.