MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Hawks of Chowan University 94-82 on Saturday afternoon in non-conference Division II men's basketball at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Jonathan Mebane set a new career high as he led all Trojans with 23 points in the game.
Score: Chowan 94, Mount Olive 82
Records: Chowan (4-0), Mount Olive (1-4)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- After Chowan got on the scoreboard first Jamaal Matin scored six straight points to put UMO up 6-2 at the 18:18 mark.
- Mount Olive went up by five points, 17-12, following an 11-10 run that saw a Matin three, a Cameron Robinson layup and a pair of free throws each by Don Pigford and Alan Treakle.
- UMO found themselves ahead by eight points, 29-21, at the 9:57 mark of the first half following three consecutive three-pointers by Jonathan Mebane.
- Chowan fought back to tie the score at 33 all over the course of the next three minutes closing the eight-point lead with a 12-4 run with 6:28 to play.
- Alan Treakle converted four free throws and a layup to take a six-point lead in the course of 34 seconds and Mebane bumped the Trojan lead up to nine, 42-33, with his fourth three in the half.
- The Hawks cut down the Trojan lead to tie the score at 48 all with 1:03 left in the half but Mount Olive headed into the break with a three-point lead, 51-48, following a made shot by Robinson.
- Mount Olive came out swinging as they made four baskets, including three three-pointers, to take a 62-51 lead with 17:26 on the clock.
- An 11-0 run by the Hawks over the next two minutes tied the game up at 62 all.
- UMO reclaimed a six-point lead, 68-62, after back-to-back three-pointers by Cameron Robinson and Jonathan Mebane.
- Chowan again fought back to take the lead 70-68 after an 8-0 run by the Hawks.
- The Trojans tied the game at 70 all on a layup by Mebane at 10:31, but they quickly found themselves trailing the Hawks by 10 points two minutes later.
- Mount Olive climbed back to trail by four points, 82-78, with 3:55 on the clock but ran out of time as the Hawks closed out the game on a 12-4 run to win 94-82.
- Jonathan Mebane led all Trojans with 23 points in the game, which is a new career high for the freshman from Raleigh, N.C.
- Three other Mount Olive players landed in double figures as Jamaal Matin, Alan Treakle and Cameron Robinson scored 17, 15, and 13 points respectively.
The Trojans return to action on December 1 when they open up their Conference Carolinas schedule at home against the Tornado of King University. First tip between the Trojans and Tornado is scheduled for 4 p.m.