MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team defeated the Tornado of King University 78-63 on Saturday night in Conference Carolinas men's basketball at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 78, King 63
Records: Mount Olive (2-4, 1-0), King (4-2, 0-1)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive opened the contest scoring seven quick points in the first minute and a half of action.
- An Alan Treakle layup gave Mount Olive a 12-point lead and forced King to call a timeout trailing 14-2 at the 15:29 mark.
- Following the timeout, King rallied and pulled within three points, 16-13, as the Tornado went on an 11-2 run over the next three minutes.
- A Don Pigford layup and a pair of three-pointers, one each from Jonathan Mebane and Cameron Robinson, put UMO up 11 points, 24-13, at the 11-minute mark.
- King cut the Mount Olive lead to single digits, 29-20, at the eight-minute mark following a 7-5 run.
- Over the next six minutes, UMO went on an 11-2 run to take a 19-point lead over KU putting the Trojans up 41-22 with just under three to go in the half.
- The Tornado scored six points to close the gap but a layup by Brown at the buzzer gave the Trojans a 15-point lead heading into halftime up 43-28
- King opened the second half scoring seven points to close the Mount Olive lead to eight points, 43-35, three minutes into the second half.
- Four Alan Treakle free throws gave the Trojans a 10-point lead 47-37 with 15:18 remaining in regulation.
- A 9-4 run by the Trojans put them back ahead by 15 points as UMO took the 56-41 lead following a Treakle layup.
- Jonathan Mebane connected on a three-pointer at the 10:25 mark to give UMO its second 19-point lead of the evening, 61-42.
- The Tornado put up four consecutive three-pointers to cut into the Trojan lead, but King ran out of time as the Trojans maintained a double-digit lead throughout the remainder of the game to win 78-63.
- Michael Brown and Jonathan Mebane both led the Trojan scoring front with 16 points each.
- Alan Treakle and Jamaal Matin each added 13 points while Don Pigford added 10 points of his own in the 78-63 conference win.
- Mount Olive went a perfect 14-of-14 from the free throw line.
- The team also made 10 of 18 three-point attempts.
The Trojans return to action on December 4 when they travel to Florence, S.C. to take on Francis Marion University. First tip between the Patriots and Trojans is scheduled for 7 p.m.