MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College 78-70 Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas men's basketball action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Lees-McRae 78 - Mount Olive 70
Records: Mount Olive (6-12, 5-4), Lees-McRae (7-13, 4-7)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Lees-McRae jumped out to a quick five-point lead 1:16 into the game, but Mount Olive countered to tie the game at the 17:06 mark.
- The Bobcats were able to capitalize on a three-point play and kept a lead for the rest of the half that included an 8-0 run in the middle of the half that gave LMC a then nine-point lead.
- Landry Gainey hit a three-pointer with 12 seconds left before halftime to help draw the Trojans' deficit to seven, 39-32.
- Darius Spragley led all scorers with 12 points in the first half.
- Lees-McRae outshot UMO from the field 41.9%-to-38.5% while also forcing the Trojans to eight Turnovers.
- A Darius Spragley jumper put Mount Olive within three at the 17:19 mark, but the Bobcats countered with four points of their own and led 45-38.
- A six-point spread by LMC at about the 12:30 minute mark pushed the Bobcat lead to 11, 54-43.
- Mount Olive saw a second six-point run push the Lees-McRae cushion to it's largest of the game at 15, 60-45 with 8:50 left in regulation.
- The Trojans were finally able to get something positive going offensively with a 10-0 run to get the deficit back to single digits at five with 7:20 left on the clock.
- The five-point margin was as close as Mount Olive could get as they were able to get there twice more in the half, but could get no closer as LMC closed out the game with two free throws and won 78-70.
- Darius Spragley was close to a season-high with 20 points to lead the Trojan lineup.
- Michael Brown and Cameron Robinson were the only other Trojans in double figures with 14 each.
- Lees-McRae outrebounded Mount Olive 36-31.
Mount Olive travels to face the Saints of Limestone College on Wednesday, January 23, at 7:30 P.M.