MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team claimed their second straight Conference Carolinas win as the Trojans defeated the Warriors of Southern Wesleyan University 86-79 on Saturday evening at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Redshirt senior Jamaal Matin led the Trojans with 24 points. Matin was honored prior to the game with his 1,000 point game ball.
Score: Mount Olive 86, Southern Wesleyan 79
Records: Mount Olive (8-12, 7-4), Southern Wesleyan (2-19, 1-11)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive started the game off hot as they knocked down back to back three-pointers from Darius Spragley and Cameron Robinson following the initial layup from Jamaal Matin to lead 8-2 until the 16:40 mark.
- Southern Wesleyan climbed within a point, 11-10, following an 8-3 run of their own that caused UMO to call a timeout.
- The Warriors kept pace with the Trojans following a pair of free throws but UMO took off on a run that put the home team ahead 13 points, 29-16, following a 16-4 rally by Mount Olive.
- UMO's lead evaporated over the next six minutes as the Warriors trailed by five points, 39-34, as the clock approached the three-minute mark.
- A Don Pigford layup and a Spragley three put the Trojans back up by 10 points, a spread which Mount Olive held heading into halftime as the score sat at 48-37.
- UMO held on to their 11-point, 55-44, lead until the 16-minute mark when the Warriors began chipping away at the Trojan lead during an 11-4 run over four minutes that put the score at 59-55.
- Mount Olive reclaimed a 10-point lead that they held until the 3:20 mark when SWU scored six in a row to close the gap to four points, 80-76, with less than two to play.
- SWU completed a three-point play following a layup and free throw that had the Warriors trailing by three, 82-79, with 32 seconds to go, but UMO made four-of-six free throws to hold on to the lead and win 86-79.
- Four Trojans recorded double-digits in points with Jamaal Matin leading the way with 24.
- Darius Spragley, Cameron Robinson and Alan Treakle joined Matin with 19, 13, and 12 points respectively.
Mount Olive heads to Belmont, N.C., for a midweek Conference Carolinas matchup against Belmont Abbey. The Trojans and Crusaders will square off around 7:30 p.m. following the conclusion of the women's game.
Jamaal Matin and head coach Joey Higginbotham prior to tip-off celebrating Matin's 1,000 career points.