MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team defeated the Lions of Emmanuel College 82-75 on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas men's basketball action in Franklin Springs, Ga.
Score: Mount Olive 82, Emmanuel 75
Records: Mount Olive (11-13, 9-5), Emmanuel (19-8, 12-2)
Location: Shaw Athletic Center | Franklin Springs, Ga.
How It Happened
- Emmanuel took the early 13-6 lead through the opening seven minutes of the contest.
- A 10-6 run by the Trojans closed the score gap to three points, 19-16, following a pair of Michael Brown free throws at the 7:46 mark.
- The Lions went on a 7-2 run to take an eight-point lead, 26-18, as the clock approached the three-minute mark.
- Mount Olive answered with a 7-3 run as the teams entered halftime with the Lions holding a slim four-point lead, 29-25.
- The Trojans came out of the half on a 17-4 run that put UMO ahead 42-33 through the first five and a half minutes of play.
- A three-point jumper by Brown pushed the Trojans lead to 15 points as the clock ticked just under the 12-minute mark with the score sitting at 55-40.
- Emmanuel clawed back within seven points, 63-57, following a 17-8 run by the Lions with just under four to play.
- The final four minutes saw the Trojans make 14 free throws en route to their 82-75 win.
- Jamaal Matin led the Trojans with 28 points in the contest as the redshirt senior shot 10-of-18 from the field and 6-of-9 from three range.
- Michael Brown and Darius Spragley joined Matin in double-digits as the duo scored 16 and 13 respectively.
Mount Olive takes on rival Barton College in a midweek game at Wilson Gymnasium on Tuesday, February 12. The Trojans and Bulldogs square off for first tip at 7:30 p.m. following the women's game at 5:30. The game is also the second 'Be The Match' game of the season as the two schools and the respective rotary clubs have joined together to raise awareness and increase participants for the National Bone Marrow registry.