Mount Olive, N.C. – The 12th-ranked University of Mount Olive men's lacrosse team defeated Lees-McRae College, 18-7, in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday afternoon at the Ray McDonald Sr. Track & Field/Lacrosse Complex.
Score: Mount Olive 18, Lees-McRae 7
Records: Mount Olive (9-2, 4-1 CC), Lees-McRae (3-7, 1-3)
Location: Ray McDonald Sr. Track & Field/Lacrosse Complex, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive found themselves behind early as Lees-McRae scored the first goal of the game 2:15 into the opening half.
- The Trojans responded by going on a 4-0 run and UMO took a 4-1 lead.
- Following an LMC goal with 6:12 remaining, the Trojans ended the quarter with three more goals to take a 7-2 lead heading into the second quarter.
- UMO increased its lead to 10 with six straight goals in the second.
- The Bobcats fought back with a goal with :45 left in the first half to trail UMO 12-3 at the break.
- In the third frame, the Trojans pushed their lead back to double digits at 15-5 following Cody Graden's unassisted goal with under a minute left in the quarter.
- The final quarter was taken by the Trojans as they built upon their lead outscoring the Bobcats 3-to-2 on their way to taking the game 18-7.
- Brett Kingston led the Trojans with four goals in the win.
- Three other Trojans scored multiple goals as Jacob Ball and Thatcher Clark each recorded hat tricks while Austin Whitlow scored twice.
- Cole Groebner led the defense with six groundballs and four caused turnovers.
- Between the posts, junior Will Urban (W: 9-2) earned the victory, making five saves on 10 shots.
- Drew Yost and Tim Dobson also spent time in between the pipes.
Mount Olive will idle until next Saturday when the Trojans host No. 1 Limestone College on April 15 at the Ray McDonald Sr. Track & Field/Lacrosse Complex in Mount Olive, N.C.