Mount Olive, N.C. – The 12th-ranked University of Mount Olive men's lacrosse team defeated the Lions of Mars Hill University 15-4 in non-conference competition Saturday afternoon in Mars Hill, N.C. The match was also the season opener for UMO.
Score: Mount Olive 15, Mars Hill 4
Records: Mount Olive (1-0), Mars Hill (0-1)
Location: Mars Hill, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive struck first in the game as Cody Graden found Jacob Ball with 12:06 in the first quarter for the first score of the contest.
- The Trojans went on to score two more goals as Ball scored his second with 5:26 left in the quarter and Austin Robinson added UMO's third goal 3:20 later.
- Thatcher Clark and Scott Dagnanleach helped increase the Trojans' lead to five with under 12 mins in the second quarter.
- Mars Hill stopped the bleeding with a goal in the final two minutes of the first half as Mount Olive had a 5-1 lead at the break.
- UMO came out of the half on fire as the Trojans scored four straight goals over the first 12 minutes of play.
- Alex Lipsky of Mars Hill stopped the Mount Olive run with his goal with 2:43 left in the third.
- Austin Whitlow scored the final goal of the quarter as Ball recorded his fourth assist in the game and Mount Olive extended their lead to 10-2.
- Mount Olive did not let the Lions control any part of the final quarter as they outscored Mars Hill 5-to-2 on their way to the 15-4 win.
- Ball led the Trojans with three goals, four assists. Clark also finished with three goals and added one assist. Six other Trojans scored at least a goal in the contest.
- Between the posts, Will Urban (W: 1-0) took the win, making five saves on nine shots.
- Mount Olive outshot Mars Hill 56-to-18 and won the groundball battle 36-to-16.
Mount Olive will return to action February, 17 when the Trojans will open up play at the Ray McDonald Sr. Track and Field/Lacrosse Complex against the Indians of Catawba College. The first face-off is set for 1 p.m.