Columbia, S.C. - The University of Mount Olive defeated Columbia International University 3-1 Saturday night in non-conference men's soccer.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Columbia International 1
Records: Mount Olive (3-0-0); Columbia International (2-2-1)
Location: Columbia, S.C.
How It Happened
- The first half saw a stalemate between Mount Olive and Columbia International for most of the half as neither team could find the back of the net despite both squads registering a shot on goal.
- Mount Olive found a spark in the final seconds of the half as Grant Conybear connected on a pass from Sebastian Loibl with 54 seconds remaining to put UMO in the lead.
- CIU started the second half with the momentum as the Rams' Rahim Gordon tied the game up in the 55th minute.
- The Trojans had to wait until late in the match, the 84th minute in fact, before Loibl found the game winner with a shot into the bottom right corner.
- Mount Olive continued to pressure the ball as Loibl picked up his second goal of the game in the 85th minute to give UMO the lead 3-1, a lead that would not be relinquished.
- Loibl led the Trojans with two goals on five shots and an assist.
- Trevor Knight, Sam Murphy, and Conybear all registered a pair of shots apiece.
- Grant Eshelman (2-0) picked up the win in goal as he allowed a goal on three shots and had a pair of saves.
Mount Olive will return to Amon Field for the Trojans' home & Conference Carolinas opener on September 16 vs. Lees-McRae at 4 p.m.