MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team edged out regionally 5th ranked Chowan University 3-2 in Conference Carolinas men's soccer action Tuesday afternoon Amon Field.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Chowan 2
Records: Mount Olive (8-6-1, 4-4-1); Chowan (9-4-2, 4-3-2)
Location: Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Neither squad was able to make much of an offensive statement in the opening half as both Mount Olive and Chowan registered three shots apiece.
- UMO was able to crack into the scorebook in the 77th minute as Lewis Xiberras played a ball across the box to Trevor Knight, who proceeded to find the back of the net for the first goal of the game.
- Grant Conybear helped Knight pick up his second goal of the game three minutes later as the senior blasted a shot from 20 yards out and landed his second score into the back right corner.
- Chowan picked up its first goal after a handball in the box gave the Hawks a penalty kick opportunity that drew the score to 2-1 with eight minutes remaining.
- The Hawks found the equalizer in the 85th minute and the game remained tied at the end of regulation.
- Mount Olive fought back in extra time after a barrage of shots from the Hawks in the first five minutes of play,
- Following a failed clearance by Chowan, Sebastian Loibl was at the right place on the field to corral the high ball and went one-on-one with the CU keeper. Loibl chipped a shot over the keeper and watched the game-winning goal trickle into the center of the net to give UMO a 3-2 win.
- Trevor Knight (2) and Sebastian Loibl (1) led the Trojans with three scores.
- Preston Snyder tallied three saves playing all 95 1/2 minutes in net.
Mount Olive will return action October 28 when the Trojans will host Southern Wesleyan University for Senior Day at Amon Field. First kick is set for 4 p.m.