GAFFNEY, S.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team fell 4-1 to No. 7 Limestone College Sunday afternoon in the Championship match of the Conference Carolinas Men's Soccer Tournament.
Score: Limestone 4, Mount Olive 1
Records: Mount Olive (10-7-2); Limestone (15-2-2)
Location: Gaffney, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive went toe to toe with the No. 1 seed Limestone for the first 23 minutes of play before a hard challenge by a Saint resulted in a red card and LC played a man down.
- The Trojans were unable to register a shot for the remainder of the first half and the two teams went into halftime scoreless.
- Limestone despite playing with 10 players did not falter as the Saints connected off a miscue from the Trojans and corralled a rebound to break the tie in the 51st minute.
- Wasting no time the Saints, just three minutes later, scored another goal off a bicycle kick to extend their lead.
- Following a red card for the Trojans, and both teams playing a man down, Limestone added two additional goals in the 72nd and 73rd minutes respectively.
- Mount Olive did not allow a shutout as Trevor Knight was fouled in the box and a penalty kick was awarded at the 87:37 mark.
- Grant Conybear took the shot for the Trojans and placed it in the back right corner of the net to decrease the deficit to 4-1.
- The comeback fell short however and Limestone took the victory.
- Quentin Aguilar and Grant Conybear both led UMO with two shots each.
- Preston Snyder tallied nine saves playing all 90 minutes in goal.
Awards & Honors
The following Trojans earned a spot on the Conference Carolinas All-Tournament Team
Mount Olive's 2017 season comes to an end with a 10-7-2, 4-4-2 record and its first appearance in the Conference Carolinas Tournament Championship match since 2004.