Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team defeated the Indians of Catawba College 2-1 in overtime at Amon Field in non-conference action on Wednesday night. Alfie Pope scored the golden goal in the 96th minute to stave off a second overtime period for the win.
Score: Mount Olive 2, Catawba 1 - OT (96:57)
Records: Mount Olive (2-0-1); Catawba (0-2-0)
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Amon Field)
How It Happened
- Catawba broke the nil-nil score early in the match as the Indians connected with the net in the eighth minute of action. A Catawba forward corralled the ball after it rebounded off the left post on a teammates shot.
- Shortly after his entrance into the match, Eric Healy shot a rocket of a shot from 35 yards out that hit the crossbar for the Trojans best look of the opening half.
- The Indians slightly outshot the Trojans in the first half with eight shots to UMO's five.
- Less than 90 seconds into the second half the Trojans knotted up the score as Baptiste Tajan wrangled in an Alfie Pope pass from the left corner to put Mount Olive on the scoreboard.
- Despite several good looks and controlling the possession during a majority of the second half, the Trojans could not connect with the net forcing extra time to be needed.
- As the teams approached the seventh minute of overtime, Mount Olive's Pope shook his defender for a breakaway to score a golden goal winning the match for the Trojans.
- The Trojans outshot the Indians 12-6 in the second half and ended with 19 shots on the evening.
- Alfie Pope tallied three points on the evening with a goal and an assist.
- Austin Porter tallied five saves in six shot on goal attempts.
Mount Olive returns to action on September 8, when the Trojans take on the Lions of Mars Hill in a non-conference neutral site match. First kick is set for 5 p.m. at Bryan Park in Greensboro, N.C.