BANNER ELK, N.C. - University of Mount Olive men's soccer team fell to the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College 3-2 in a Conference Carolinas match-up Saturday afternoon in Banner Elk, N.C.
Score: Lees-McRae 3, Mount Olive 2
Records: Mount Olive (3-3-1, 1-1-0 CC); Lees-McRae (4-4-2, 2-2-1)
Location: Banner Elk, N.C. (LMC Practice Field)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive had an early opportunity to get on the boards as Trevor Berk was shoved in the box on an attack and was awarded a penalty kick at the 8:42 mark in the first half.
- Berk found the back of the net as he was able to deceive his shot attempt and score to the opposite side of the diving Bobcat goalkeeper.
- Lees-McRae fought back to equalize the game in the 22nd minute and then took a 2-1 lead four minutes later.
- UMO could not manage another shot for the remainder of the half and took the one-goal deficit into the break.
- The Bobcats wasted no time in extending their lead as nearly five minutes into the second half, LMC added their third goal.
- Mount Olive did not go away without a fight, as Santiago Zapata crossed a one-timer shot into the box for Pedro Franca and put the score at 3-2.
- The Trojans were able to muster a few shots on target, but the Bobcats held UMO from tying the game and took the victory.
- Alfie Pope led the Trojans in shots with three and Franca followed with two.
- Austin Porter (3-3-1, 1-1-0) recorded six saves in goal for Mount Olive.
Mount Olive returns to action on October 3, when the Trojans travel to Murfreesboro, N.C., to take on Chowan University in a Conference Carolinas battle. First kick is set for 4 p.m.