Mount Olive, N.C. - University of Mount Olive men's soccer team fell 3-2 in double overtime to the Flying Fleet of Erskine College in Conference Carolinas men's soccer action Wednesday afternoon at Amon Field.
Score: Erskine 3, Mount Olive 2
Records: Mount Olive (4-5-1, 2-3-0); Erskine (2-6-2, 1-4-1)
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Amon Field)
How It Happened
- Erskine claimed the opening score in the 19th minute as Kacper Zak connected on a corner kick from the far left corner to give the Flying Fleet the 1-0 lead.
- The Trojans knotted the score up at one-all in the 34th minute as senior midfielder Travis Jones corralled a rebound off a corner kick to even up the score.
- Mount Olive broke the tie just five minutes into the second half as Eric Healy beat a diving keeper with a shot into the bottom left corner of the goal to give the Trojans a 2-1 lead.
- The Flying fleet came back to tie the game once more in the 78th minute as a cross from the near corner found the open foot of Sam Cable and EC made the score 2-2.
- Neither team found the game-winner in the final minutes and extra time was needed.
- Neither squad managed much offense in the first OT period as Erksine and UMO managed just three shots in the first 10 minutes and a second overtime was required.
- The second overtime saw a much higher tempo as both teams recorded two shots, one on goal, through the first seven minutes of play.
- The Flying Fleet found a sliver of space in the final 1:38 and tucked in the game-winner behind the Trojan keeper to take the game in overtime.
- Alfie Pope led the team in shots with four and was followed closely by Sam Murphy with three.
- Healy and Jones were the goal leaders for the Trojans with one goal each.
- Austin Porter (4-5-1, 2-3-0) grabbed seven saves in goal.
Mount Olive returns to action on Saturday, October 13, as they take to the road with their sights set on Tigerville, S.C., to face the North Greenville University Crusaders. The Trojans and Crusaders take to the field with a first kick time of 7 p.m.