MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team defeated arch-rival Barton College 2-1 on senior night in Conference Carolinas men's soccer action Tuesday night at Amon Field. Seniors Travis Jones, Nathan Pike, Santiago Zapata, and Quentin Aguilar were honored before the match.
Score: Mount Olive 2, Barton 1
Records: Mount Olive (5-8-1, 3-6-0); Barton (8-5-1, 4-4-1)
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Amon Field)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive and Barton battled back and forth early on in the first half until the Bulldogs were fouled inside the box 9:26 into the opening half.
- Austin Porter, the Trojan goalkeeper, spotted up and came up with a clutch save to his left to keep the Bulldogs off the boards and the score nil-nil.
- UMO went on to put four more shots on goal but were unable to find the game's first goal and the teams went into the break scoreless.
- The Trojans added more offensive pressure in the 54 minute as Eric Healy found space in the box and used the opportunity to find a wide-open Sam Murphy on the opposite side, who deposited the ball in the back corner of the net to move UMO in front 1-0.
- Following a Barton foul near the Mount Olive bench, a free kick placed near the box allowed Alfie Pope to play the cross off his shoulder and pass it to Santiago Zapata for the second score of the game.
- Barton found a quick response though however as two minutes later, in the 76th minute, back-to-back headers allowed the Bulldogs to get on the boards and draw the deficit to 2-1.
- Mount Olive's defense held strong only allowing one shot for the remainder of the game and held on for the win over their arch-rivals.
- I am so proud of these guys tonight and the throughout this tough stretch we have been through. We showed tonight that even after some tough results, we are still in good form and motivated to get results. I am really proud to be a part of this group and hope that this form will continue and get us a few more results in the home stretch," said Head Coach Sean Brennan.
- Sam Murphy led the Trojans with three shots, two on goal, and one goal.
- Santiago Zapata obtained his first career goal on the night.
- Alfie Pope and Eric Healy added assists for Mount Olive.
- Austin Porter (5-4-1) collected four saves in goal for UMO.
Mount Olive is back action on Friday, October 26, as they travel to Central, S.C. to face Southern Wesleyan University. The Trojans and Warriors take to the field with a first kick time of 7 p.m.