CENTRAL, S.C. - The University of Mount Olive men's soccer team defeated Southern Wesleyan University 3-0 in the regular-season finale Saturday morning in Central, S.C. The win gives Mount Olive the #8 seed in the Conference Carolinas Men's Soccer Championship Tournament slated to begin Monday.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Southern Wesleyan 0
Records: Mount Olive (6-8-1, 4-6-0); Southern Wesleyan (2-12, 2-7)
Location: Central, S.C. (Gilbert Field)
How It Happened
- Mount Olive came out of the gates hot firing a shot within the first 51 seconds but it sailed just wide, however, the table was set for the Trojans offense to erupt.
- The Trojans went on to register six more shots in the opening 15 minutes of play but the Southern Wesleyan back line held and the score remained deadlocked.
- Finally, in the 24th minute, Eric Healy broke through the Warriors defense and put UMO up 1-0.
- Healy used the momentum gained from his strike in the first half and struck for goal again four minutes into the second. The sophomore found the back of the net and pushed Mount Olive ahead by a pair.
- UMO's offense stalled for the greater part of the second half until James Lang gave the Trojans one final score with five seconds left in the game and Mount Olive took the 3-0 final decision.
- Today was a great day for our program as we made the tournament for the third year in a row. It's a very difficult league so it's an honor to be one of the eight best. Our guys have responded all year with different types of adversities and this is simply another example. Once again, I am so proud to be a part of this group," said Head Coach Sean Brennan.
- Alfie Pope led the team in shots with six and Lang was close behind with five and added the one score.
- Healy led the team in goals with two on three shot attempts.
- Austin Porter (6-8-1) kept a clean sheet in goal for Mount Olive and recorded four saves.
Mount Olive concludes the regular season with the win and will now enter the Conference Carolinas Tournament as the No. 8 seed. The Trojans will take on No. 1 seed Limestone on Monday, October 29 at 7 p.m.