Tournament Most Valuable Player Matt Finnerty posted wins at No. 2 singles and doubles, and Edgar Bub's win at No. 1 singles clinched the championship as top-seeded University of Mount Olive defeated No. 6 seed BC 5-2 in the title match of the 2014 Conference Carolinas Men's Tennis Tournament Sunday at Sumter, S.C. The championship is Mount Olive's second in the last three years and secures an automatic bid to the Southeast Regional of the 2014 NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Championship. The win extended the Trojans' school record winning streak to 15.
Joining Finnerty on the All-Tournament Team were Bub and Rik Wolthuis, Bub's partner at No. 1 doubles.
Mount Olive (18-1) grabbed a 2-1 lead after doubles play as Finnerty and Henric Falkenberg won 8-0 at No. 2 doubles, while Stanley Roffe and Brahm Moolman posted an 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles. Finnerty won 6-0, 6-2 at No. 2 singles and Falkenberg won 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3 singles to give the Trojans a 4-2 lead. Bub completed his 6-2, 6-3 win shortly thereafter to seal the match and the championship.
Including its 8-0 conference record during the regular season, this year's men's tennis team becomes the first of any Mount Olive athletics team to go unbeaten in conference play in both the regular season and the post-season.
Mount Olive won the 2012 championship as the No. 2 seed, defeating top-seeded Limestone 5-4 in the final. Trojan head coach Kevin Coghill said this year's tournament presented a different set of challenges.
"There was more pressure on us this year as the favorite and with the winning streak," said Coghill, who was named Conference Carolinas Men's Tennis Coach of the Year for the second time in three years. "Our players' focus and work ethic was key to our success during the regular season and during the tournament."
Coghill also praised Finnerty for what he brings to the team.
"Matt's intensity is contagious," said Coghill. "Without question, everybody on the team feeds off of it."
The NCAA Selection Show is scheduled for Tuesday at 8 p.m. on ncaa.com. Mount Olive is ranked No. 6 in the Southeast Region.
Mount Olive 5, Barton 2
1. Edgar Bub (UMO) def. Jake McCartney (BC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Matt Finnerty (UMO) def. Rafael Ruiz (BC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Henric Falkenberg (UMO) def. Max Leppert (BC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Stanley Roffe (UMO) vs. Nick Genest (BC) unfinished
5. Lautaro Vazquez (UMO) vs. Jorge Pradilla (BC) unfinished
6. Daniel Radu (BC) def. Brahm Moolman (UMO) 6-2, 6-1
1. Jake McCartney/Rafael Ruiz (BC) def. Edgar Bub/Rik Wolthuis (UMO) 8-6
2. Matt Finnerty/Henric Falkenberg (UMO) def. Yaxi Pintado/Jorge Pradilla (BC) 8-0
3. Stanley Roffe/Brahm Moolman (UMO) def. Max Leppert/Nick Genest (BC) 8-6