Mount Olive, N.C. – In its first game of 2017, the University of Mount Olive women's basketball team earned an 86-76 victory over Converse College on Tuesday evening in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 86, Converse 76
Records: Mount Olive (8-2, 5-0 CC), Converse (2-7, 1-4 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Converse challenged the Trojans early on as the Valkyries jumped out to a 6-4 lead with 7:29 remaining in the quarter.
- Both teams traded baskets over the following three minutes as UMO edged out to a 12-11 lead with 5:02 left.
- In the final 5:02 of the quarter, the Trojans held Converse scoreless while Mount Olive scored 14 points to run out to a 26-11 advantage after the first quarter.
- The Trojans continued their run in the second frame as UMO scored the first four points of the quarter to increase its lead to 30-11 just 1:49 into the quarter.
- A three-pointer by junior Ni'Ya Styles inflated the Trojans' advantage to 40-17 with 3:58 left in the quarter, but Converse responded with an 11-4 run to narrow its deficit to 44-28 at the break.
- Despite the Valkyries' persistence, UMO was able to maintain a double-digit lead throughout the entire third stanza ending the quarter with the Trojans holding a 69-52 lead.
- Converse continued to chip away at UMO's lead, cutting it to its thinnest margin at 82-74 with 21 seconds left as Mount Olive held on for the 86-76 win.
- Recording career-highs in points and rebounds, senior Daria Simmons recorded her first career double-double of 28 points and 10 rebounds while adding five assists and six steals.
- Junior Felecity Havens recorded her fifth-straight double-double with 20 points and 13 rebounds.
- Also in double figures was Styles who finished with 11 points.
- UMO outshot Converse, 45.3% to 36.8%.
Mount Olive will remain home for a pair of Conference Carolinas games this weekend in Kornegay Arena as the Trojans host Limestone College at 5:30 p.m. on Friday before taking on Southern Wesleyan on Saturday evening at 5:30 p.m.