Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated Southern Wesleyan University 82-65 on Saturday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 82, Southern Wesleyan 65
Records: Mount Olive (9-3, 6-1 CC), Southern Wesleyan (3-8, 1-6 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Felecity Havens started off the Trojans on the right foot grabbing the first points of the contest. Southern Wesleyan did not let the lead stand as the Warriors went on an 11-0 run to force a UMO timeout.
- The lead extended to double digits with 4:49 left in the opening quarter as SWU led 16-6.
- The Trojans were able to draw the deficit to 20-18 however on Tommarah Harris' jumper with 22 seconds left.
- Mount Olive took the first four points of the second quarter to regain the lead 22-20 at the 8:50 mark.
- The lead changed hands three times before UMO was able to take a 30-26 lead with 5:27 on the clock.
- Daria Simmons with 4:53 left in the half started a run of seven unanswered points to push out the lead to 37-28 and the Trojans held on to lead at the break 43-35.
- UMO continued to hold its lead over the Warriors only allowing the cushion to dip to within three points midway through the quarter.
- The Trojans pushed their double-digit lead to as high as 16 in the final quarter on the way to an 82-65 victory.
- Ni'Ya Styles led the team with 21 points and picked up four steals and three assists.
- Kiara Jones chipped in a double-double performance with 16 points and 15 rebounds.
- Joning Styles and Jones with double figure nights were Havens (18) and Simmons (15).
- UMO outshot Southern Wesleyan, 46.6% to 40.3%.
Mount Olive will remain home for a Conference Carolinas matchup with Lees-McRae on January 11 at 5:30 p.m. inside Kornegay Arena.