Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team narrowly defeated Belmont Abbey College 84-80 in Kornegay Arena Wednesday evening in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 84, Belmont Abbey 80
Records: Mount Olive (16-4, 13-2 CC), Belmont Abbey (9-11, 7-8 CC)
Location: Kornegay Arena, N.C.
How It Happened
- The opening quarter played tight as neither team was able to gain a lead larger than two points following the opening possession.
- Midway through the quarter, Ni'Ya Styles hit a jumper to start a 12-0 run that took nearly five minutes off the clock as Mount Olive led 22-12.
- Belmont Abbey stopped the run with 1:28 remaining and scored the final four points of the quarter.
- UMO continued to hold the lead during the second quarter expanding the lead to 45-30 following a 17-4 run to end the first half.
- The Crusaders battled back as they chipped the Trojans' lead down to 59-57 with an 8-2 run to end the quarter.
- A 9-2 run to open the final quarter gave Mount Olive a 68-59 lead with 8:19 left in the contest.
- The Trojans held on to take the win 84-80 in the final minutes of play despite the Crusaders tallying five points in the last 15 seconds.
- All 84 points in the game were scored by the Mount Olive starting five.
- Daria Simmons led all scorers with 27 points and added five rebounds.
- Felecity Havens (17-10) and Kiara Jones (13-10) chipped in double-doubles for the Trojans.
- Ni'Ya Styles dropped in 21 points and also had four rebounds and three assists.
Mount Olive will hit the road to take on Converse College Saturday at 2 p.m. in Spartanburg, S.C.