Belmont, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team earned a 91-76 road victory over Belmont Abbey College on Wednesday evening in Belmont, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 91, Belmont Abbey 76
Records: Mount Olive (18-4, 15-2 CC), Belmont Abbey (9-13, 7-10 CC)
Location: Wheeler Center, Belmont, N.C.
How It Happened
- UMO spread the ball around to open the contest, as the Trojans took a 9-3 lead with 8:12 left in the quarter on buckets by four of the five Mount Olive starters.
- The Crusaders got back within three at 12-10 on a 5-0 run with 5:05 remaining on the clock.
- After Belmont Abbey tied the game at 16, UMO went on a 10-4 run to close the period and take a 26-20 lead.
- The Trojans were able to push their lead to double digits on multiple occasions in the second quarter, but Belmont Abbey seemed to have an answer to each UMO basket.
- A 6-0 spurt to close the half gave Mount Olive its largest lead of the opening half at 14 at 55-41 heading into the break.
- At the half, junior Ni'Ya Styles led all scorers with 31 points.
- Twice in the first 5:10 of the third period, Belmont Abbey trimmed the Trojans' advantage to just 13, but each time UMO had an answer as Mount Olive took a 65-50 lead with 4:39 left in the quarter.
- The UMO lead reached its largest point with 1:38 remaining in the third period as senior Daria Simmons knocked down a pair of free throws to provide a 73-52 lead for the Trojans.
- Belmont Abbey pushed back late in the fourth quarter as the Crusaders cut UMO's lead to just nine at 83-74 with 2:12 remaining in the game.
- Mount Olive responded in the finals minutes, using an 8-2 run to pull away and secure a 91-76 victory.
- Styles led the Trojans with 31 points in the victory, knocking down a game-high four three-pointers.
- Also in double figures for UMO were Simmons (19), Havens (18), and Kiara Jones (16)
- Both Havens and Jones recorded double-doubles for Mount Olive with 13 and 12 rebounds, respectively.
- Junior Rachel Fehl continued to shine as the Trojans' facilitator as Fehl dished out seven assists in the win.
- UMO outshot the Crusaders, 46.8% to 40.5%, and won the rebounding battle, 54-38.
Mount Olive travels west to face King University in a showdown of top three teams in the Conference Carolinas standings on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Bristol, Tennessee.