HICKORY, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to Lenior-Rhyne University 90-79 on Saturday morning in Hickory, N.C.
Score: Lenior-Rhyne 90, Mount Olive 79
Records: Lenior-Rhyne (1-1), Mount Olive (0-2)
Location: Shuford Memorial Gymnasium, Hickory, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive got on the scoreboard first with a pair of free throws by Felecity Havens but the Trojans allowed the Bears to quickly take a six-point lead going up 8-2 which they held until the seven-minute mark in the first quarter.
- The Trojans came back on a 10-3 run taking the one-point lead with three minutes to play in the opening quarter.
- LRU reclaimed the lead on a three-pointer but UMO fought to stay in the game tying the score twice before the Bears took the 17-16 lead going into the second quarter.
- The two teams continued to battle for control of the scoreboard through the opening minutes of the second quarter.
- UMO briefly claimed the lead, 21-20 (7:35), before LRU went on an 8-1 run over the next two minutes before the Trojans scored on a pair of free throws.
- The Trojans cut the Bears lead to three-points following a 6-5 run putting the score at 33-30 with 2:21 to play in the half.
- Lenior-Rhyne extended their lead to six again before Mount Olive closed out the half on a 7-2 run trailing the host Bears by one-point 38-37.
- Neither team could get on the board through the first two minutes of the third quarter until LRU connected on a free throw to go up 39-37.
- The Bears free throw spurred a 13-0 run that gave the home team a 14-point lead 51-37 until 5:13 when Hope Toliver scored the Trojans' first basket of the second half.
- UMO scored 11 points in the third quarter that was spurred by Toliver's basket, but Lenior-Rhyne countered the UMO run with 18 points in the final five minutes to hold the 20-point lead, 69-49, at the end of the third quarter.
- Havens scored in the first five seconds of the fourth quarter.
- The Bears scored eight points before Ni'Ya Styles ended the UMO drought at 7:35 after she stole the ball and put up the layup with the score sitting 75-53.
- UMO went on a 13-6 run over the next five minutes (2:15) to draw within 15 points of the Bears.
- Mount Olive scored 13 points to the Bears nine in the last two minutes of the game, but Lenior-Rhyne held off the Trojans come back to win 90-79.
- Felecity Havens lead all players with 41 points in the game and tallied 10 rebounds for her first double-double of the season.
- Hope Toliver also recorded a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
- Ni'Ya Styles recorded 13 points for the Trojans for the second most on the team.
- Havens' 41 points in the game was a new career-high and places her third all-time in points in a game in the UMO WBB individual career records.
- The Trojans outscored the Bears in the fourth quarter 30-21.
- UMO shots 81.5% from the free throw line with Havens making 12-13 attempts.
- Mount Olive outrebounded Lenior-Rhyne 43-36 including 17 offensive boards.
The Trojans return to Kornegay Arena as the open their home slate on Wednesday night when Saint Augustine travels to Mount Olive, N.C. First tip is set for 5:30 p.m. between the Trojans and the Falcons.