MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College 74-73 in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday evening at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Ni'Ya Styles tied the career-high for three-pointers made (217) by a Trojan women's basketball athlete after scoring four in tonight's game.
Score: Mount Olive 74, Lees-McRae 73
Records: Lees-McRae (4-8, 1-5), Mount Olive (6-8, 4-2)
Location: Kornegay Arena| Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The two squads went back and forth through the entire first quarter vying for control of the score with the Trojans holding a one-point lead, 20-19, heading into the second quarter.
- Lees-McRae went up eight points, 32-24, through the first three minutes of the second quarter, but Mount Olive went on a 21-11 run to close out the half taking a slim 45-43 lead into halftime.
- The teams continued the battle into the third quarter with neither side getting more than a two-point lead until the Trojans closed out the final two minutes on a 6-0 run to lead 61-55.
- The Bobcats pulled within one of the Trojans but UMO went back up by eight, 68-60, with under five to play in the game.
- LMC came back to trail by two points, 72-70, with 51 seconds to play.
- Felecity Havens made a layup to give UMO a four-point lead with 13 seconds remaining.
- Lees-McRae responded with a three-pointer and but missed the last shot of the game falling to the Trojans by one, 74-73.
- Felecity Havens recorded a double-double with 20 points and 17 rebounds.
- Ni'Ya Styles and Hope Toliver each recorded 14 points in the win, while Makayla Nichols scored 12.
- Jada Bacchus tallied 13 rebounds, 10 coming in on defense.
- With her four three-pointers on the night, Styles tied the career-high for three-pointers made (217) by a Trojan women's basketball athlete.
The Trojans return to action on January 10 as they travel to Wilson, N.C. to face arch-rival Barton College. The Trojans and Bulldogs tip-off at 5:30 p.m. in game one of the women's and men's doubleheader.