MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Lions of Emmanuel College 77-58 on Wednesday, Feb. 14, in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. on Play for Kay Night.
Score: Mount Olive 77, Emmanuel 58
Records: Emmanuel (13-9, 8-8), Mount Olive (10-15, 8-9)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans opened the game going up 7-0 over the Lions, before Emmanuel countered with a 7-0 run to tie the game up at the 4:37 mark.
- A pair of Emmanuel free throws with five seconds left in the quarter gave the Lions a one-point, 13-12, lead heading into the second.
- EC went on a 6-0 run to open the second quarter taking the seven-point lead 19-12, with 7:24 to play.
- UMO cut the Emmanuel lead to four, 23-19, with just over six minutes to play, before the Lions closed out the half on an 11-5 run heading into halftime with the 34-24, 10-point lead.
- Following the intermission, Mount Olive came back to take the one-point lead, 36-35, at the 6:30 mark of the third quarter after a 12-1 run.
- The teams traded the lead throughout the remainder of the quarter with the Trojans coming out on top taking a 10-point lead, 56-46, into the final ten minutes.
- Mount Olive continued to grow their lead through the fourth quarter to lead by as many as 19 points as the Trojans went on to win the game 77-58.
- Mount Olive held Emmanuel to just 24 points in the second half of action.
- Ni'Ya Styles led all scorers with 30 points.
- Hope Toliver tallied 16 points while Felecity Havens collected 15.
- Jada Bacchus brought down 14 rebounds, including 10 defensive boards.
- Ni'Ya Styles surpassed 1,500 points in the game against the Lions. She is the highest scoring women's basketball Trojan in program history with 1,524 points in her career.
Mount Olive is back in action on Saturday, February 17, as they travel to Spartanburg, S.C. to face Converse College. The Trojans and Valkyries tipoff at 1 p.m. for more Conference Carolinas competition.