RALEIGH, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team held off the Falcons of Saint Augustine's University 78-69 in their season opener on Saturday afternoon in Raleigh, N.C. Makayla Nichols scored a career-high 26 points in the season opener while teammate Felecity Havens was just behind with 23 points.
Score: Mount Olive 78, Saint Augustine's 69
Records: Mount Olive (1-0), Saint Augustine's (0-1)
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
How It Happened
- Back-to-back layups from Felecity Havens put UMO up 4-0 a minute and a half into the game.
- Following their own 30-second timeout, Saint Augustine's came back on a 6-2 run to tie the score at six all with seven minutes left in the opening quarter.
- Makayla Nichols put up a three-pointer to take a 9-6 lead but SAU responded with one of their own to knot the score once again.
- Three consecutive baskets for the Trojans put them ahead six points, 15-9, with 2:24 to play in the opening quarter.
- Mount Olive closed out the opening 10 minutes with an 8-6 run to hold a 23-15 lead as time expired.
- The Falcons opened the second quarter with six quick points to pull within two of the Trojans 23-21.
- UMO responded with a 15-2 run over the next four minutes to lead 38-23 with 4:21 remaining in the half.
- St. Aug's cut the UMO lead down to ten points but Mount Olive closed out the half strong taking a 12-point, 47-35, lead into halftime.
- Mount Olive increased their lead to 15 points as the score sat 52-37 with 8:21 to play in the third quarter.
- Saint Augustine's slowly chipped away at the Trojans lead and took a three-point 58-55 lead following a 21-3 rally with 1:40 to go.
- UMO reclaimed the lead on a pair of Nichols free throws and a Jada Bacchus layup to take a 59-58 lead into the final 10 minutes.
- Azariah Fields gave UMO a three-point cushion, 61-58, to open the fourth quarter but SAU scored a free throw to make it a two-point game, 61-59.
- A Leah Williams three-pointer spurred a nine-point run by the Trojans who took a 70-61 lead following a free throw by Felecity Havens with 5:05 on the clock.
- The Falcons tried to close in on the Trojans as they pulled within five points, 74-69, but SAU did not score in the final 1:40 as UMO went on to win 78-69 in their season opener.
- Makayla Nichols had a career-high 26 points and went 15-16 from the free throw line.
- Felecity Havens tallied 23 points in the contest.
The Trojans return to action on Wednesday, November 14, when they travel to Murfreesboro, N.C., to take on the Hawks of Chowan University in non-conference women's basketball. First tip is set for 5:30 p.m.