FLORENCE, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Patriots of Francis Marion University 88-83 on Tuesday evening in non-conference action in Florence, S.C. Felecity Havens broke a 22-year-old school record of points scored in a game after putting up 49 points in the victory.
Score: Mount Olive 88, Francis Marion 83
Records: Mount Olive (3-2), Francis Marion (2-1)
Location: Smith Center | Florence, S.C.
How It Happened
- Felecity Havens got the Trojans on the scoreboard first after she connected on a three-pointer 26 seconds into the game.
- Francis Marion tied the score at three all but Mount Olive went on an 11-2 run to take a nine-point, 14-5, lead at the six-minute mark.
- Over the next three minutes, the Patriots went on a 10-0 rally to take a one-point lead, 15-14, with 2:51 remaining in the opening quarter.
- UMO reclaimed a four-point lead, 21-17, but an FMU three-pointer with nine seconds left put the Patriots down one heading into the second quarter.
- The teams traded points in the opening minutes of the second quarter until the Trojans put together a string of four free throws and a Hope Toliver jump shot to take a seven-point lead, 34-27, with 5:08 remaining in the half.
- Mount Olive held on to their lead as the teams entered halftime, though Francis Marion cut the Trojans lead to two points, 41-39.
- The Patriots came out of halftime scoring eight quick points to take a 47-41 lead into a Mount Olive timeout 90 seconds into the third quarter.
- A technical foul by the Patriots' Alliyah Gillespie gave Havens a pair of free throws, which she made, that spurred a 6-0 run by the Trojans to knot up the score at 47 points each at the 7:30 mark.
- Neither team took more than a four-point lead in the remaining minutes of the quarter as the lead changed twice and the score tied five times as FMU took a 62-61 lead into the final quarter.
- FMU took a four-point lead, 65-61, 30-seconds into the final quarter before UMO countered with a 9-0 run, capped off with by a Kelly Post three-pointer, to lead 70-65 with 6:24 remaining in regulation.
- The Patriots climbed back within one, 70-69, but the Trojans went on a 12-3 run to hold a 10-point, 82-72, lead with just under three minutes to go.
- A pair of Makayla Nichols free throws put the Trojans up by 14 points but the Patriots fought back to trail by three, 86-83, with 20 seconds left in the game.
- Mount Olive was able to hold off the rallying Francis Marion team by putting up two more free throws to win the game by five points 88-83.
Felecity Havens finished the evening with 49 points, a new school record for points in a game. The previous record was set 22-years-ago on February 19, 1996, when Stephene McCovery scored 46 points against Belmont Abbey. Havens had 27 points in the opening two quarters. She converted 17-of-27 attempts from the field and went 11-14 from the charity stripe. In addition to her 49 points, Havens tallied 10 rebounds.
- Jada Bacchus also reached double-digit points as she recorded 10 points in the contest.
The Trojans return to action on Saturday, December 1, when they return to Kornegay Arena for their Conference Carolinas opener against King University. First tip between the Trojans and Tornado is scheduled for 2 p.m.