MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College 70-65 in Conference Carolinas women's basketball action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Jada Bacchus set two career marks for herself hitting the 500 rebound and 600 point marks in her junior year.
Score: Mount Olive 70, Lees-McRae 65
Records: Mount Olive (11-5, 7-3), Lees-McRae (8-10, 5-6)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Felecity Havens opened the scoring for Mount Olive scoring the first nine points in the contest as the Trojans propelled to a 9-3 lead with 5:08 remaining in the first quarter.
- Lees-McRae was able to stop the bleeding with a jumper at the 3:18 mark before UMO went on a 10-0 run to take a 19-5 lead.
- The Bobcats responded to the run by scoring the final five points of the quarter and decreased the deficit to five heading into the second.
- Mount Olive quickly jumped out to a 10-point lead after five unanswered points to start the second quarter and held that margin for a majority of the quarter, except for a brief moment when LMC hit a three-pointer with 2:54 to make the score 28-20.
- The Trojans did not take their foot off the accelerator however and ended the first half on a 11-2 run and took a 39-22 lead into the break.
- Felecity Havens led the field with 17 points at the half and UMO as a team was shooting 50% from the field.
- Lees-McRae had a few runs in the third quarter to try and decrease the Mount Olive lead into single digits but the Trojans held onto an 11-point lead, 52-41 heading into the final quarter of play.
- Continuing off of what was a five-point run to end the third LMC started the fourth with another five-point spread to deflate the Mount Olive lead to 52-46 with 8:42.
- The Trojans countered with four unanswered points to push their lead back to 10 but the margin did not stay at that rate, the lead however did.
- A three-point play for the Bobcats made the game a bit more interesting as the game became tied for the first time since the opening tip at 2:05 and just 20 second later took their first lead of the game 65-64.
- Mount Olive stood strong however and closed the game out on a 6-0 run and sealed the 70-65 win inside Kornegay Arena.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 23 points and added two rebounds, three assists, and four steals.
- Jada Bacchus with her 16 points and 10 rebounds gave her two career marks; 600 career points and 500 rebounds both accolades she has achieved as a junior.
- Azariah Fields also scored in double figures adding 11 points respectively in the game.