BELMONT, N.C. – Mount Olive fell on the road 71-61 to the Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College on Wednesday evening in Conference Carolinas women's basketball action at the Wheeler Center in Belmont, N.C. Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 31 points and 12 rebounds.
Score: Belmont Abbey 71, Mount Olive 61
Records: Mount Olive (13-6, 9-4), Belmont Abbey (14-6, 11-2)
Location: Wheeler Center | Belmont, N.C.
How It Happened
- Despite scoring the first basket of the game, the Trojans didn't have much to celebrate as they quickly found themselves trailing 12 points just after the six-minute mark and were down 11 points, 21-10, heading into the second quarter.
- Mount Olive chipped away at the Belmont Abbey lead after opening the second quarter with a 10-4 rally. Jada Bacchus tallied six points on three layups while Felecity Havens added four on a pair of free throws and a jumper to cut the lead to five points, 25-20, with 5:25 on the clock.
- The Crusaders took a seven-point lead twice but the Trojans kept fighting to almost eliminate the BAC lead as a rare four-point play by Havens drew UMO within one-point, 32-31, with 25 seconds before the half.
- Abbey hit a buzzer beater layup to take a 34-31 lead into the break after the Trojans outscored the Crusaders 21-13 in the second quarter.
- Mount Olive took a 40-39 lead, their first of the evening, following a 9-5 run by the Trojans, that was capped off by a layup from Azariah Fields as the clock ticked towards the six-minute mark.
- Abbey reclaimed the lead, and never relinquished, as a three-point play off a layup and free throw put the Crusaders up 42-40.
- BAC continued to grow their lead back out to double digits as the home squad led 56-44 with the teams heading into the final ten minutes of play.
- UMO cut the BAC led to five points, 58-53, after coming out on a 9-2 run to open the fourth quarter.
- The baskets then went cold for the Trojans who scored just eight more points through the remainder of the game while the Crusaders scored 13 to go on and win 71-61.
- Felecity Havens led the Trojans with 31 points and 12 rebounds.
- Jada Bacchus joined Havens in double digits with 12 points on the evening.