FRANKLIN SPRINGS, GA. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Lions of Emmanuel College 80-74 on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas women's basketball in Franklin Springs, Ga. Senior Felecity Havens led the team with 32 points while junior Jada Bacchus added 22 for a combined 54 points.
Score: Emmanuel 80, Mount Olive 74
Records: Mount Olive (14-7, 10-5), Emmanuel (16-6, 11-4)
Location: Shaw Athletic Center | Franklin Springs, Ga.
How It Happened
- The Trojans took an early 10-3 lead over the Lions through the first four minutes of the contest.
- Mount Olive held a 16-10 lead as the clock ticked under three minutes but Emmanuel clawed back on a 9-2 run to lead 19-18 heading into the second quarter.
- Emmanuel opened the second quarter on an 8-0 run to go ahead 27-18 as the clock neared the seven-minute mark.
- A Jada Bacchus layup halted the Lions run and started a 6-0 run that cut the Emmanuel lead to three points, 27-24.
- Mount Olive led an 8-5 run that closed the opening half of action with the teams knotted up at 32 all heading into halftime.
- The score remained close with the two squads trading the lead a handful of times before an Azariah Fields three-pointer put UMO up 44-41 with 6:13 left in the third.
- The Trojans went on a 9-7 run that put Mount Olive ahead 53-48 heading into the final 10 minutes.
- UMO outscored Emmanuel 21-16 in the third quarter.
- Havens gave Mount Olive a seven-point lead following a layup and four free throws as the score hit 59-52 with 7:33 to play.
- The Lions kicked on the burners as they score 14 unanswered points to take a 66-59 lead with the clock approaching 3:45.
- Mount Olive pulled within two points, 68-66, of Emmanuel following a 9-2 run that was capped by a pair of Makayla Nichols free throws.
- Emmanuel reclaimed an eight-point lead following six consecutive free throws that pushed the score up to 74-66 with 46 seconds left.
- Havens poured in a pair of three-pointers and Bacchus put up the final layup for the Trojans who ran out of time as Emmanuel won 80-74.
- Senior Felecity Havens led the team with 32 points.
- Jada Bacchus added 22 points and a team-high nine rebounds.
Mount Olive takes on rival Barton College in a midweek game at Wilson Gymnasium on Tuesday, February 12. The Trojans and Bulldogs square off for first tip at 5:30 p.m. in the first game of the women's and men's doubleheader. The game is also the second 'Be The Match' game of the season as the two schools and the respective rotary clubs have joined together to raise awareness and increase participants for the National Bone Marrow registry.