MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The Mount Olive Trojans fell just short to the No. 11 Saints of Limestone College 15-14 in Conference Carolinas women's lacrosse action at the Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex in Mount Olive, N.C. Jackie Kaderabek and Kiara Burke each tallied three goals for the Trojans in the contest.
Score: No. 11 Limestone 15 - Mount Olive 14
Records: Mount Olive (7-3, 4-1), Limestone (8-1, 4-0)
Location: Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- UMO started the game off hot putting two goals on the scoreboard before LC saw their first goal of the match. Kiara Burke tallied the opening goal on a free position shot 1:46 into the game.
- Skylar Grady put the second goal in the net off of a pass from Kelly Young giving the Trojans a 2-0 lead with 20:25 remaining in the opening half.
- Limestone found their first goal on a free position near the 19-minute mark, but Mount Olive responded with a goal by Young four minutes later off her own free position to give the Trojans a 3-1 lead with 15 to play.
- The Saints scored a pair of goals to knot the score up at three-all as the clock ticked just under 12 minutes to play in the first half.
- Tiffany Lee scored at the 6:30 mark off an assisted pass from Jackie Kaderabek to take a one-goal lead but the Saints knotted the score at four-all less than a minute later.
- UMO again took a one-goal lead, this time off a Burke free-position shot and held the lead for about three minutes before Limestone tied the score again on an unassisted shot.
- Kaderabek gave the Trojans a one-goal cushion heading into halftime leading 6-5 as she scored with 33 seconds left in the half off the pass from Burke.
- Limestone came out of the break on a 4-1 run in the first five minutes of the second half to take control of the score 9-7. UMO's goal came inside the opening two minutes on a free position from Burke for her third goal of the game.
- Lee scored her second goal of the match halting the Limestone run at the 24:04 mark off a free position that closed the gap to one goal, Saints leading 9-8.
- The Saints took a five-goal lead, 13-8, following four unanswered goals by Limestone before the clock hit the 20-minute mark of the second half.
- Back-to-back free position shots by the Trojans, one each from Young and Kaderabek, halted the Limestone rally and closed the lead to just three goals with 16:38 still remaining in regulation.
- Over the next five minutes, Limestone scored a pair of goals while the Trojans added one, a Jordan Shughrue free position goal, that put the score at 15-11 with 11:51 to play with the Saints still holding the lead.
- UMO tried to mount a comeback and upset the No. 11 Saints as they scored three goals in the last five minutes of action. The Trojans came up just short as the time expired and Limestone held on to a slim 15-14 victory.
- Jackie Kaderabek and Kiara Burke each tallied three goals in the game.
- Kaderabek added two assists while Kelly Young and Burke each tallied one apiece.
- Young and Tiffany Lee added a pair of goals each, while Skye Bradley, Jordan Shughrue, Meaghan Michaud, and Skylar Grady all combined for the other four Trojan goals.
- Siena Miller (L: 7-2, 4-1) picked up the loss but made eight saves on 23 shots faced.
Mount Olive returns to action tomorrow as they host the Lions of Emmanuel College. First draw is scheduled for 4 p.m. at the Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex following the men's game at 1 p.m. against Wingate.