WILSON, N.C. – The No. 23 Mount Olive Trojans defeated the Bulldogs of Barton College 16-7 in Conference Carolinas women's lacrosse action on Thursday afternoon at the Electric Supply Company Field in Wilson, N.C. With the win over the Bulldogs, head coach Grant Kelam recorded his 100th career coaching win
Score: No. 23 Mount Olive 16 - Barton 7
Records: No. 23 Mount Olive (9-4, 6-1), Barton (8-5, 5-3)
Location: Electric Supply Company Field | Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans got things started with a trio of goals in the opening four minutes. Kelly Young got things started with an unassisted goal 57 seconds into the contest.
- Skye Bradley put UMO up by two with a solo shot at 26:27 on the clock and less than 30 seconds later, Jordan Shughrue scored the third UMO goal off an assisted pass from Bradley.
- Barton scored their first goal of the game in the eighth minute of action following a solo shot that snuck past Siena Miller, the UMO keeper.
- Skylar Grady gave the Trojans a three-goal advantage following an unassisted goal at 19:50.
- The Bulldogs closed the gap to two goals after Barton recorded a man-up goal with 17:10 left in the opening half.
- After nearly 13 minutes of scoreless action, the Trojans posted three goals in the final five minutes to take a five-goal, 7-2, lead into halftime.
- Tiffany Lee scored a goal off a free position shot giving UMO a 5-2 lead with 4:41 remaining in the half.
- Shughrue scored her second goal of the game with 70 seconds remaining off an assisted pass from Jackie Kaderabek that put the score at 6-2.
- Nola Wesche recorded the last goal of the opening half with 27 seconds remaining giving UMO their five-goal cushion at the break.
- The Bulldogs found the first goal of the second half pulling within four, 7-3, scoring just 47 seconds after the resumption of play.
- Mount Olive retaliated with six unanswered goals gaining a 10-point lead, 13-3 before the first 10 minutes of the second half ended.
- Shughrue scored her third goal of the game to start the rally. Zoe Dougherty scored a pair of goals that sandwiched a Meaghan Michaud goal as the score rose to 11-3.
- Kelly Young and Amanda Berger each found a goal to give the Trojans their 10-goal advantage.
- Barton found their fourth goal of the game as the clock ticked towards the 19-minute mark halting the UMO run.
- Michaud connected with the back of the net reopening the 10-goal lead but the Bulldogs scored three goals in a row to cut the Trojan lead to seven goals, 14-7.
- Bradley and Young scored the last two goals of the game putting the final score at 16-7.
- Jordan Shughrue and Kelly Young each recorded a hat trick in the game.
- Skye Bradley, Meaghan Michaud, and Zoe Dougherty each put a pair of goals in the net.
- Four other Trojans scored one goal each as nine Trojans tallied goals against the Bulldogs.
- Siena Miller (W: 9-3 | 6-1) played 30 minutes between the pipes. Miller gave up two goals making one stop in three shots on goal faced.
Mount Olive continues their road trip with a pair of Conference Carolinas contests on April 12 and 13 against North Greenville and Erskine respectively. The Trojans and Crusaders meet at 6 p.m. in Tigerville, S.C. on the 12th, while the Flying Fleet host the Trojans on the 13th at 12 noon in Due West, S.C.