DUE WEST, S.C. – The No. 23 Mount Olive Trojans defeated the Flying Fleet of Erskine College 22-4 in Conference Carolinas women's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon at Huggins Field in Due West, S.C. Four Trojans each scored hat tricks in the competition in Kelly Young, Zoe Dougherty, Jordan Shughrue, and Meaghan Michaud.
Score: No. 23 Mount Olive 22 - Erskine 4
Records: No. 23 Mount Olive (11-4, 8-1), Erskine (3-12 | 3-6)
Location: Huggins Field | Due West, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive commanded the opening half of action as they scored 12 goals before the Flying Fleet found their first of the contest.
- Before the first ten minutes of the game passed, UMO had already taken a 5-0 lead over Erskine with five different players connecting with the net. Jordan Shughrue got things underway 44 seconds into the contest. Nola Wesche, Skylar Grady, Keely Trail, and Meaghan Michaud each tallied one of the five goals.
- Over the next ten minutes of play, the Trojans scored six more goals to take an 11-0 lead and gain a running clock. Jackie Kaderabek, Shughrue, and Kelly Young combined for the six goals with Young scoring three and Shughrue two.
- Ann Wray gave Mount Olive a 12-0 lead with just over seven minutes left in the first.
- Just as the clock ticked under the five-minute mark, Erskine found a goal to hold off the shutout putting the score at 12-1.
- UMO closed out the opening half with two more goals taking a 14-1 lead into the halftime break. Kaderabek scored one while the other came from Zoe Dougherty just as time expired in the half.
- The Trojans continued to cruise onward as they scored the first seven goals of the second half to take a 21-1 lead at the 9:34 mark. Grady, Michaud, Wesche, Dougherty, Carley Patwell, and Tiffany Lee all added goals in the opening run.
- Erskine put in a pair of goals at the 8:24 and 4:25 marks that put the score at 21-3 with under five remaining in the game.
- Dougherty collected her third goal of the game with 99 seconds left in regulation but the Flying FLeet got the final word in as the scored their fourth goal with three seconds left putting the final score at 22-4 UMO.
- Kelly Young, Zoe Dougherty, Jordan Shughrue, and Meaghan Michaud all recorded three goals in the game.
- Nola Wesche, Jackie Kaderabek, and Skylar Grady each added a pair.
- Ann Wray, Tiffany Lee, Carley Patwell, and Keely Trail joined in the scoring spree adding one goal each.
- Samantha Thomson (W: 1-1) picked up the win between the pipes after giving up four goals and making two saves on six shots faced.
Mount Olive heads west to Charlotte, N.C., to take on a top 25 team in the Royals of Queens University. The Trojans and Royals meet on April 18 at 4 p.m. at the Sports Complex at Marion Diehl Park.