Mount Olive, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team grabbed a 3-1 victory over Emmanuel College at Kornegay Arena on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Mount Olve 3, Emmanuel 1 (20-25), (26-24), (25-23), (25-16)
Records: Mount Olive 5-5 (1-1); Emmanuel 2-8 (0-2)
Location: Kornegay Arena
How It Happened
- In a relatively even set that featured nine ties, it was not until late that Emmanuel began to take control.
- UMO took a 14-10 lead before the Lions went on a 15-6 run to take the set victory.
- The Trojans hit -.061 in the first, while Emmanuel hit .241.
- The Trojans fell behind early, as the Lions owned a 9-5 advantage.
- Fueled by three Lion errors and a pair of kills by junior Mackenzie Call, the Trojans tied the set at 13-13.
- Mount Olive weathered another run by the Lions, but tied the set again at 21-21.
- Trailing 24-23, the Trojans ran off a 3-0 run on a pair of Lion errors before junior Britni Johnson won the set with a service ace.
- Mount Olive changed its fortunes by opening the set with a 5-1 run before Emmanuel responded with 6-0 run to take an early lead.
- It was not until late in the set that UMO control, as freshman Natalie Perez contributed a kill and the Trojans received some help from an Emmanuel error to win the set.
- With momentum leaning towards the Trojans, UMO pounced on the opportunity by taking a 9-1 lead.
- Holding a 22-11 advantage, the Trojans faced push-back from the Lions, as Emmanuel cut the lead to 22-14.
- Mount Olive closed the set and the match with a 3-2 run capped off by a kill by junior Karley Pounds.
- Perez led the Trojans with 11 kills.
- Freshman Kamber Skeen led UMO with a double-double of 36 assists and 13 digs.
- Junior Casey Fiechter added 16 digs .
- Junior Mi'Kayla Benson chipped in 4 total blocks for the Trojans.
- Call recorded a double-double with 10 kills and 12 digs
The Trojans return to action Tuesday in a non-conference clash with Fayetteville State University at 6 p.m. in Kornegay Arena.