Banner Elk, N.C. – Junior Karley Pounds tallied a season-best and team-wide season-high 19 kills to lead the University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team to a four-set victory over Lees-McRae College in Conference Carolinas action Friday evening.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Lees-McRae 1 (25-18), (25-21), (21-25), (25-18)
Records: Mount Olive 10-9 (5-5); Lees-McRae 6-11 (3-5)
Location: Williams Gymnasium
How It Happened
- The Trojans jumped out to a 5-0 lead forcing a Lees-McRae timeout.
- The Bobcats clawed back to tie the set at 13-13.
- UMO quickly responded with an 8-0 run to take a 21-13 lead the Trojans never relinquished.
- UMO hit .182 with six errors, while the Bobcats hit just .032.
- Despite close play early on, UMO pulled away with an 11-4 run to take a 17-10 lead.
- Lees-McRae cut the Trojans' advantage to 21-19, but Mount Olive responded with a 4-2 run to win the set.
- UMO fell behind early in the set and struggled to crawl back into the set.
- The Trojans got within one twice at 18-17 and 21-20, but could not close out the Bobcats.
- Again, Lees-McRae made it tough on the Trojans, as Mount Olive fell behind 9-8.
- UMO bounced back with a 6-1 run to jump out to a 19-14 lead.
- Closing out the set, Mount Olive used a 6-3 run to win the set and earn the match victory.
- The Trojans hit a match-high .233 hitting percentage.
- Pounds led UMO with 19 kills with a .333 hitting percentage.
- Freshman Kamber Skeen recorded a double-double with 36 assists and 12 digs.
- Junior Mackenzie Call added 13 kills.
- Freshman Natalie Perez hit a team-high .429 with seven kills.
The Trojans return to action Saturday with a road battle with King University at 2 p.m. in Bristol, Tennessee.