Fayetteville, N.C.. – The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team dropped a four-set match to Fayetteville State University in a non-conference match Tuesday evening.
Score: Fayetteville State 3, Mount Olive 1 (25-18), (25-23), (23-25), (25-17)
Records: Mount Olive 10-11 (5-6); Fayetteville State 11-5 (7-3 CIAA)
Location: Capel Arena
How It Happened
- The Trojans struggled to get started as FSU jumped out to an 11-4 lead.
- The Broncos continued to control the set, running out to their largest lead at 19-9.
- UMO committed 13 errors in the first frame and hit just -.024 while Fayetteville State hit .061.
- Flipping momentum, UMO jumped out to an 11-4 lead.
- FSU tied the contest at 17-17 before Mount Olive responded with a kill by freshman Natalie Perez off an assist from fellow freshman Kamber Skeen.
- After the Trojans retook the lead, Fayetteville State ran off six straight points to take a 23-18 advantage in route to a 25-23 set victory.
- Mount Olive took control early in a closely contested set.
- After taking a 4-3 lead, UMO relinquished its advantage only twice near the mid-portion of the frame.
- UMO closed out the set on a 4-2 run to win the set and stave off the Broncos.
- FSU stormed out to an 8-3 lead before UMO answered with a 4-1 run of its own to cut the Broncos lead to 9-7.
- The Trojans could not hold off Fayetteville State in the final stages of the set, as FSU used a 12-5 run to take control.
- Junior Mackenzie Call led UMO with 12 kills, while fellow junior Karley Pounds added 11.
- Freshman Kamber Skeen led the Trojans in assists with 26.
- Defensively, junior Casey Fiechter amassed 23 digs to pace Mount Olive.
Mount Olive returns home for a pair of non-conference matches on Saturday in Kornegay Arena against Virginia State University and Coker College.