Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team came out on top as they defeated Converse College 3-1 in their second Conference Carolinas match on Saturday afternoon at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Converse 1 (20-25, 25-19, 25-22, 25-18)
Records: Mount Olive 5-5, 2-0; Converse 1-10, 0-3
Location: Kornegay Arena
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Converse came out scoring early in the first set getting up 6-4 over Mount Olive.
- The Trojans took the lead, 8-6 on a pair of kills, an ace and a Valkyrie error.
- The squads battled for control of the score before CC recorded six straight points to take a 17-13 lead.
- UMO earned a couple of points but the Valkyries lead was too great as they won the first set 25-20.
- The second set opened with the teams vying for control of the score as they saw six ties before the Trojans gained a lead on the scoreboard.
- Nine points in favor of the Trojans put UMO up 17-10 over Converse as a timeout was called by the Valkyries.
- An 8-2 run by Converse brought the score back within one, 19-18, but the Trojans were able to close out the set scoring on six of the last eight plays to win the set 25-20 and tie the match at one set apiece.
- The third set proved to be another battle for control before the Trojans gained a four-point lead, 10-6, at the first called Converse timeout.
- Mount Olive managed to maintain a two or three point lead throughout the middle of the set, but the Valkyries came back to tie the game 22 all.
- UMO closed out the set to win 25-22 and go up 2-1 over Converse.
- The score tied 11 times in the fourth set before either team gained control of the set.
- With Britni Johnson back to serve the Trojans scored seven consecutive points go up 24-17.
- Kaitlin Grote put down the final kill, 25-18, to give the Trojans their second conference win of the weekend with a 3-1 score over Converse.
- The Trojans tallied 47 kills, 44 assists and 59 digs on the afternoon, as well as 9 blocks.
- Britni Johnson had 20 kills while Cyerra Carter had 10 and Kaitlin Grote had nine in the 3-1 victory.
- Kamber Skeen had 41 of the teams 44 assists.
Mount Olive will play again on September 19, as they head to Fayetteville, N.C. for their second-of-three contests against the Broncos of Fayetteville State. Game time is set for 6 p.m. at Felton J. Capel Arena.