Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team defeated the Braves of UNC Pembroke in five exciting sets Friday night at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 3, UNC Pembroke 2 (24-26, 27-25, 25-13, 16-25, 15-10)
Records: Mount Olive 7-8, 3-2; UNC Pembroke 3-13, 0-4
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Kornegay Arena)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans opened the match with four kills and an ace to go up 5-1 over the Braves.
- UNCP came back to tie the match at six all and took the lead going up 15-9.
- UMO fought back to come within one-point, 17-16, on four Braves errors, two kills, and an ace.
- The Trojans went on an 8-6 run taking a 24-23 lead after going back and forth with the Braves.
- Pembroke closed out the set scoring three straight points to win 26-24.
- The second set opened up with the teams battling back and forth for control of the scoreboard.
- The Braves scored seven straight points to tie and take the lead going up 11-5 over the Trojans.
- Mount Olive came back to tie the match at 16 all midway through after an 11-5 run.
- UMO took a four-point lead to go up 24-20 but UNCP rallied to tie it at 24 all.
- Coming out of their timeout, the Trojans closed out the set on a 3-1 run to win set two 27-25.
- UMO came out of the intermission to start the third set going up 9-1 right out of the gate.
- The Trojans continued to expand on their lead, as they got up by 11 points, 15-4.
- Pembroke cut the Mount Olive lead to eight, 19-11, before the Trojans closed out the set on a 6-2 run to win 25-13.
- UNCP got out to an 8-4 lead to start the fourth set.
- The Trojans cut the Braves lead to two, 13-11, before UNC Pembroke went on a 7-2 run.
- Mount Olive scored a few more points on kills by Cyerra Carter and Kamber Skeen, but Pembroke's lead was too great.
- UNCP won the set 25-16 and tied the match at two-all, forcing a fifth set.
- UMO won the first two points but UNCP took the next four.
- The Trojans countered with an 8-2 run going up 10-6 over the Braves.
- A kill by Britni Johnson spurred a four-point run that gave the Trojans a seven-point lead, 14-7.
- UNC Pembroke scored three consecutive points before a final service error gave Mount Olive the 15-10 set win and the game win 3-2.
- Britni Johnson and Brittany Barnett led the Trojans in kills with 13 & 12 respectively.
- Kamber Skeen had 28 assists and 22 digs, both of which were team highs.
- Casey Fiechter recorded her first double-double of the season with 10 assists and 20 digs.
- Alyssa Gurnell had six blocks, three assisted and three solo, to go along with her four kills on the night.
The Trojans hit the road as they head to Conference Carolinas opponent Belmont Abbey on Saturday, Sept. 30. First serve is set for 1 p.m. at the Wheeler Center in Belmont, N.C.