Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in five sets to Chowan University in non-conference Division II action Tuesday night at Kornegay Arena.
Score: Chowan 3, Mount Olive 2 (25-21, 19-25, 25-22, 23-25, 9-15)
Records: Mount Olive 8-10, 4-4; Chowan 7-9, 7-3
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Kornegay Arena)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive opened the match scoring the first three points of the set.
- The Hawks came back to tie and take a one-point lead before the Trojans went on a 6-0 run going up 11-5.
- UMO continued to build their lead to 20-13 following a 9-5 rally.
- After their called timeout, Chowan came back within three points, down 24-21, but a kill by Britni Johnson gave the Trojans the final point for the set one win.
- The second set opened with the Hawks quickly going up 8-3 over the Trojans.
- CU extended their lead to 10 as the score grew to 14-4.
- Mount Olive pulled within four trailing 20-16 following a 12-6 rally.
- Chowan closed out the second set on a 5-3 run to win 25-19 and tie up the match points.
- The Trojans came out of the intermission with some momentum as they opened up a five-point lead, 9-4.
- A string of four straight points by the Hawks brought CU within one, 9-8, of UMO, but the Trojans increased the lead to five following their own four-point run.
- Mount Olive continued to hold the lead throughout the middle of the set, but Chowan slowly chipped away at the lead to come within one point, trailing 22-21.
- The Trojans held off the Hawks as they recorded three kills to close out the set and win 25-22.
- UMO opened the fourth set scoring four quick points, but CU answered with five straight to take the 6-4 advantage.
- The Trojans regained the lead going up 9-8, but a battle for control ensued as the teams tied ten times throughout the set with the end result favoring the Hawks in a 25-22 win.
- UMO held a small lead, 4-3, early in the fifth, but the momentum driven Hawks screamed past quickly going up by seven 12-5.
- The Trojans tried to make a comeback, but the point difference was too large as Chowan won the set 15-9 and the match 3-2.
- Britni Johnson lead all athletes with 27 kills.
- Kamber Skeen tallied 51 assists and 22 digs to lead the Trojans in both categories.
- Alyssa Gurnell had three solo blocks.
- Between the two teams, 211 total digs were recorded in the match, which surpassed the NCAA Division 2 record for total digs in a match that sat at 200 digs recorded during the match between Presbyterian and Catawba on Oct. 15, 1994.
- The 112 kills is the second most in NCAA D2 history with 114 being the record set by Cal. State Los Angeles vs Grand Canyon on Nov. 17, 1995.
- Four hundred and eighteen total attacks attempted surpassed the former D2 record of 325 by nearly 100 attempts.
- The two squads nearly set a new record for assists in a match with 106 total assists, just one assist shy of tying the record.
The Trojans return to action on Friday as they host Conference Carolinas opponent Belmont Abbey College at Kornegay Arena. First serve is set for 7 p.m. and is senior night for the Trojans.