MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team broke a six-game losing skid by defeating the Broncos of Fayetteville State University in an epic five-set battle Wednesday night in non-conference competition at the Kornegay Arena.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Fayetteville State 2 (15-25, 23-25, 25-22, 25-21, 15-13)
Records: Mount Olive 9-15; Fayetteville State 17-8
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Kornegay Arena)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- FSU opened up an early lead, 8-4, that they carried throughout the set.
- The Trojans trailed by seven, 16-9, before the Broncos went on a 6-1 run to increase their lead to 12.
- Fayetteville State ended up winning the set 25-15.
- The Broncos opened the second set by running the score up 10-2 out of the gate.
- UMO rallied back to tie the set at 16 all following a 14-6 run.
- The score tied seven times before FSU managed to put down back-to-back points to win the second set 25-23.
- UMO came out of the intermission opening the third set 6-3 over FSU.
- The Broncos came back scoring four straight to take a one-point lead.
- Mount Olive tied the game at 10 and took the lead going up 14-12.
- FSU countered retaking the lead to go up 19-15 before the Trojans countered with a five-point run to lead 20-19.
- The score tied once more, 20 all, but the Trojans closed out the set on a 5-2 run on three kills and two FSU errors.
- The fourth set began with the two teams fighting for control with the score knotting up several times before FSU took the one-point lead, 6-5.
- The Trojans answered with four-straight points going up 9-6 and extended their lead going up by six, 18-12, following five kills and several FSU errors.
- Fayetteville State tried to rally as they scored nine points to trail 24-21, but a kill by Cyerra Carter, following the UMO timeout, forced the fifth set.
- The fifth set did not disappoint as the teams sat tied five all early in the set.
- The Trojans took the lead 9-6 after Britni Johnson put down back-to-back kills and an ace by Kaitlin Grote.
- Following their timeout, FSU pulled within one, 11-10, before UMO increased the gap back to three.
- The Broncos came back again, trailing 14-13, but the final kill of the match came from freshman Cyerra Carter to give the Trojans the 3-2 win.
- Britni Johnson led the team in kills with 23 followed by Cyerra Carter who tallied a season-high 21.
- Kamber Skeen set a season-high in assists recording 52 in the match.
- The 36 digs by Casey Fiechter led the Trojans and was a season-high for the senior libero.
- The Trojans broke their six-game losing streak with tonight's win.
- UMO finished their home slate with an above .500 win percentage (6-5) at home.
UMO returns to action as they hit the road for a pair of Conference Carolinas matches. The Trojans face the Lions of Emmanuel Friday, Oct. 27 at 5 p.m. in Franklin Springs, Ga. UMO then squares off against Erskine in Due West, S.C. at 12 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 28.