DUE WEST, S.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team defeated the Flying Fleet of Erskine College in five sets on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas competition at the Belk Arena in Due West, S.C.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Erskine 2 (20-25, 20-25, 25-22, 25-23, 16-14)
Records: Mount Olive 10-16, 5-7; Erskine 2-20, 1-13
Location: Due West, S.C. (Belk Arena)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The match started with the two teams going back and forth until the Trojans took a two-point lead 9-7.
- Erskine came back after tying the set at 12 all to take the 19-12 lead.
- Mount Olive tried to fight back but the Flying Fleets' lead was too great as they won the set 25-20.
- The Trojans opened up the second set going up 8-4 over the Fleet.
- The score tied nine times before Erskine took a four-point lead going up 21-17.
- UMO scored three more points but EC held the lead to win 25-20.
- Mount Olive started the third set off on a 5-1 run.
- The Fleet came back to trail by one-point, 8-7.
- UMO increased their lead to six, 23-17, but then Erskine come back to trail by two, 24-22.
- The Trojans held off the Fleet as they scored the final point to win 25-22.
- The set went back and forth with the teams tied eight times through the set.
- The Trojans took a two-point lead, 24-22, with the Fleet trying to come back, but Mount Olive scored the final point, 25-23, to tie the match at two sets apiece.
- Erskine opened up the set 5-1 over UMO.
- They led 11-7 before the Trojans battled back to tie the score at 11 all.
- The score tied three times with the last being 14, but it was Mount Olive who emerged victorious with the 16-14 set win and the 3-2 match win.
- For the second time this week, the Trojans came back from trailing two sets to win in five, 3-2.
UMO returns to action on Friday, Nov. 3, as they head to Bristol, Tenn., to face the Tornado of King at 7 p.m. for the last weekend of regular season competition.