Ettrick, Va. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team wrapped up the Virginia State Tournament with a four set loss to Alderson Broaddus. Ania Keene led the Trojans with 15 kills while Kamber Skeen recorded 27 assists and Andrea Rivera-Reyes had 22 digs.
GAME 1 RECAP
Score: Alderson Broaddus 3 - Mount Olive 1 (17-25, 25-15, 25-16, 25-22)
Records: Mount Olive 1-5; Alderson Broaddus 3-3
Location: Ettrick, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive opened the first set in a 7-4 run that included four kills, two aces and an Alderson Broaddus error.
- The Trojans went on a 10-2 run that put UMO up 17-6 as ABU called timeout.
- Following the timeout, the Battlers went on a 10-2 run pulling within three points of UMO as the score sat at 19-16.
- Four consecutive points by Mount Olive gave them a seven point lead, 23-16.
- A Cyerra Carter kill and a Battler error gave UMO the last two points needed to win the first set 25-17.
- The second set started off more evenly matched as the score sat at 9-8 in the Trojans favor following the opening services. Five kills, including two by Skeen, and four Alderson Broaddus errors combined for the UMO lead.
- ABU rallied on an 8-0 run to tie and take a 15-9 lead over UMO.
- Mount Olive pulled within three points on a 4-1 run, trailing 16-13 before Alderson Broaddus reclaimed their seven-point lead on a 4-0 run putting the score at 20-13.
- The Trojans scored two more points but fell short as the Battlers closed out the set with five straight points to win 25-15.
- Set three began with a 6-3 run by Alderson Broaddus.
- Four kills by the Trojans kept UMO within three points as they trailed the Battlers 10-7.
- ABU quickly jumped ahead to lead 18-10 following an 8-3 run.
- The set closed out with 7-6 run as Alderson Broaddus won 25-16 to put the Battlers ahead 2-1 in the match.
- UMO took a 5-4 lead on four consecutive kills by Keene after ABU opened with a 4-1 run.
- The teams traded points with Mount Olive holding on to a slim 10-9 lead before UMO tallied three points in a row to take the six-point lead.
- Alderson Broaddus took the lead, 17-16, following an 8-3 run.
- Mount Olive stayed in the game tying the set three times, the last at 22 all, before the Battlers closed out the match on a three point run winning 25-22.
- Ania Keene had 15 kills in the match, a career high as a Trojan, as well as 10 digs and four assists.
- Kamber Skeen tallied 27 assists in the match while adding six kills and seven digs.
- Andrea Rivera-Reyes collected a career high 22 digs in the match and added three assists.
Mount Olive heads to Florence, S.C., next Friday and Saturday, Sept. 7-8, to compete in the Francis Marion Tournament. The Trojans take on the host Patriots, Friday at 2 p.m. and follow on Saturday with a pair of matches against Lenior-Rhyne and Newberry at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. respectively.