Florence, S.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in three sets to the Patriots of Francis Marion University on the opening day of the FMU Tournament.
Score: Francis Marion 3 - Mount Olive 0 (25-13, 25-11, 25-17)
Records: Mount Olive 1-6; Francis Marion 6-5
Location: Florence, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Francis Marion quickly opened up an 8-2 lead over Mount Olive to start the first set.
- The Patriot lead extended to 10 points with the score sitting at 14-4 following a 6-2 run by FMU.
- Mount Olive scored nine more points in the set but had too large of a hill to climb as Francis Marion took the opening set 25-13.
- Mount Olive found themselves in a similar situation as in the opening set trailing Francis Marion 9-2 to begin the second set.
- UMO scored five points on four kills, two by Ania Keene and one each from Kamber Skeen and Cyerra Carter, and an ace from Kaitlin Grote as they trailed FMU 13-7 midway through the set.
- The Trojans scored four more points before Francis Marion won the set 25-11.
- UMO opened the third set with a 9-6 run holding their first lead of the match. Six FMU errors and three kills combined for UMO's nine points.
- The Patriots tied and took the lead on a 10-3 rally putting the score 16-12 in favor of FMU.
- Mount Olive got in a few more points but the Patriots' home court advantage kicked in as they won the third set 25-17 and the match 3-0.
The Trojans take on Lenior-Rhyne and Newberry at 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. respectively on Saturday to wrap up the FMU Tournament.