MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team defeated the Braves of UNC Pembroke in an early afternoon match at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. Ania Keene and Cyerra Carter each tallied ten kills in the win.
Score: Mount Olive 3, UNC Pembroke 0 (25-20, 25-23, 26-24)
Records: Mount Olive 2-8; UNC Pembroke 3-9
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. (Kornegay Arena)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive opened up the first set of their home opener on a 7-3 run. Four kills and three Braves errors contributed to the early lead.
- UNCP fought back on an 11-8 rally to keep within a point of UMO, 15-14, until the Trojans took a three-point lead, 17-14, forcing a UNCP timeout.
- Following the timeout, the score tied up at 20 all, but Mount Olive closed out the set with the last five points, which included two aces by Michaela Seawell, to win 25-20.
- The second set started off with the teams trading points before UMO called timeout as UNCP took a 7-5 lead.
- Mount Olive tied the score up at 10 all on a kill by Keene and four Brave errors.
- Pembroke took a three-point lead, 17-14, that they held until UMO called timeout with the score sitting at 21-18.
- Following the timeout, the Trojans came back on a 7-2 rally to win the set 25-23.
- UNCP took an early 4-3 lead but four consecutive points for the Trojans gave UMO a 7-4 lead forcing Pembroke to call timeout.
- The Braves came out of the timeout on an 8-4 run to lead the Trojans by one, 12-11, as UMO Head Coach Joelle Mafo called timeout.
- UMO trailed 19-16 at one point but fought back again to tie the set at 19 all as UNCP called their second timeout of the set.
- The teams traded points back and forth seeing the score tie five times, last at 24 all, before UMO closed out the set with back-to-back kills, one each from MaKayla Huber and Cyerra Carter, to win set three 26-24 and the match 3-0.
- Ania Keene and Cyerra Carter each tallied ten kills in the win.
- Keene was a dig shy of a double-double as she tallied nine digs in the match.
- Kamber Skeen ended the match with 22 assists, four kills and six digs.
- Andrea Rivera-Reyes led the Trojans back line with 22 digs.
UMO is scheduled to return to action on Wednesday, September 19, as they travel to Fayetteville, N.C. to face the Broncos of Fayetteville State. First serve is set for 6 p.m.